• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Worried sick with several questions

I am 51 years old, never had an STD and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis 2 years ago. I've been on medications that compromise my immune system and my physician believes that I was infected with HSV-2 at some point probably years ago but it was latent all this time. Being on the immunosuppresants drugs for RA caused the HSV to become active. So here I am :(

My worries - I have 5 precious grandchildren and as we all know they are all over me. Although my HSV is genital, what if by some chance I have it in my mouth also but don't know it yet. I feed them little bites from my mouth all the time. Have I infected them?

I've been on Valcyclovir for 7 days now and for the past 3 days I've had a all over itching and slight tingling. Face, arms,back, legs. Does this mean I'll have an outbreak soon?

This morning I woke up with what I think is a stye on my left eye, could that be a herpe on my eye?

I'm a basket case!!!

Since you have a genital infection, you don't have to worry about spreading it to your grandchildren. Just make sure you wash your hands after touching the area. (And I say this for you also, because your immune system is all out of wack, and you want to be on the safe side).

If you are worried about having an HSV infection orally, you could get the blood work to see if you are positive for HSV1 also.

As for the valtrex and the tingling all over, this could be the virus, it could be the meds. Since you are just having your first outbreaks, it will be awhile until you can tell how your body is going to react to the virus/meds/etc.

The stye could be a stye. I believe herpes in the eye is not just one bump, but pain, many bumps, and vision problems.

It's hard not to worry about every change after you get the diagnosis. Learn as much as you can about the virus, it helps to know what you're dealing with- the do's and don'ts, and how to help your immune system handle it. There are other posts by people who have immune disorders. You might find something useful in those as well.

Hang in there! You've come to the right place for information. Welcome to the forum.

ladybug5, You are not alone! Like MMissori said washing your hands is huge. I can relate to your questions a lot. I've often wondered about itching in my eye being a "new" infection site and I don't kiss my kids on the mouth for this reason~ just in case. I used to think that bathing my daughter in the tub after me would give her the virus:( Which is possible but unlikely in most cases. I've had the virus for 21 years now and I'm always learning something new. Very early on I decided I wasn't going to take the drugs such as Valtex to control it. If the drugs work great! But if not there are lots of natural ways to supress and treat this lovely virus. This is my new favorite article. http://thescienceofeating.com/2015/02/11/cure-genital-herpes-outbreak-fast/

Stress is a huge factor in the fight too. Hope your next few days a less painful and more calm. Sending you hugs!

Thank you Cookielive. I feel like my life has been turned up side down. First 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Suddenly I went from totally normal and healthy to having a pill box! My immune system is in the dumps and I'm fatigued all the time. It's been one thing after another since then. I'm always in pain, I haven't felt "good" in 2 years and now this. I'm feeling pretty darn hopeless and constantly on the verge of tears. I haven't been sexually active in 3 years, when did this happen???? This is just a mess!