• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valacyclovir questions

I'm seeing someone and recently disclosed to him. He's being supportive and wants to continue our relationship. However, he is scared to go further sexually because he doesn't want to get H from me. I recently got prescribed valacyclovir from my doc, just as a precautionary measure. I haven't had an OB in three years, since I was originally diagnosed. I'm just wondering though, what are some basic facts about taking it? Is it safe for him to go down on me? Or is a barrier needed? I have HSV1 but got it orally and genitally. I haven't had an OB in either place though. Is it safe for me to go down on him?

@sjj238 If you have HSV1 orally and genitally and he has tested negative and has never had a single cold sore in his lifetime, there is a small risk you could pass it to him outside of outbreaks. HSV1 sheds more from the mouth than the genitals, so if he does contract it (again, very small risk outside of outbreaks), it would be more likely for him to contract it orally from kissing you or genitally from you performing oral sex on him. He would be least likely to contract it from performing oral sex on you or having intercourse with you.

Also, if he doesn't know this already, he should be aware that more than half of adults have HSV1. Unless he has been incredibly conscientious about testing for HSV and having partners tested for HSV, even before kissing them, he has likely taken this risk more than half the times he has kissed people in his lifetime.

In answer to your question about Valtrex, I think most people tolerate it quite well. Some have side effects. Perhaps you could give it a try and see how it goes for you.