• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes Simplex Virus type 1 related brain injury, dizziness/vertigo and cognitive decline

Hello everyone,

This forum is by far the most helpful over the web and has been my oasis since the time of me suspecting the diagnosis of genital herpes and until now that I am about 1 year post-diagnosis with HSV1.

It surprises me however that we are lacking discussions of how HSV especially type 1 is linked to brain injury and progressive cognitive decline. There is a growing body of research comparing healthy individuals cognitive abilities with regards to HSV 1 and/or the level of anti-HSV 1 antibodies. Consistent conclusions show that there is a statistically significant decline in cognitive abilities (including but not limited to: memory and executive functioning) in HSV1 positive hosts. Some studies were able to show these finding in as little as 2 years duration. Imagine a life-time effect.

I have had vestibular neuritis two times after genital HSV1 infection (all within 1 year) and I still feel unsteady and dizzy most days of the week. These symptoms coincide with my "systemic" outbreak where I feel weak, have body aches, and some burning below the waist as well as lower extremity pains. All occur in sync and stop in sync; except for the ongoing unsteadiness versus dizziness. So I clearly have CNS involvement of the infection and it is not a "skin condition" for me anymore. How much more plasticity do my nerves have after these reactivations worries me every day.

What troubles me additionally is that we are caught between developing antibodies and hopefully having less symptoms and at the same time by having that more adaptive immune response lose nerve tissue due to destruction by immune response. It is a lose lose situation.

As a result, I am reluctant as to start anti-viral therapy versus continue to manage with Lysine and wait for my immune system to adapt?

Any input will be valuable.. Thank you!

Not sure why you wouldn't try an option to assist your body in healing. It's no different than an asprin, advil, tylenol or painkiller or antibiotic. Up to you, but I too have other "issues" that complicate and my hepatologist is all for me helping to assist my body. Drugs don't "fix", they assist.

Hang in and thanks for posting!

I have read studies that show a higher likelyhood of degenerative brain disorders for those diagnosed with HSV.

However, many caveats exist. First, correlation is not causation.

Second, most people with HSV are undiagnosed.

Third, those who would be diagnosed with nerve damage or a degenerative brain disorder are more likely to have seen a doctor more frequently, and therefore be more readily diagnosed with other issues.

Overall, the fact that hsv does attack nerves is concerning, and the correlation can't be ignored. Assisting your immune system by providing a substance which mimicks targeting proteins well enough to enhance your ability to control the infection is not going to halt your immune system's ability in the long run.

Considering that you already have some compounding issues, managing symptoms is probably a good idea, as long as that is what your doctor recommended.

The usual caveat:

I am not a doctor, and have near zero medical knowledge.

Ask your pharmacist / doctor and follow their recommendations exactly.