• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Telling a new guy I'm dating...

So I have been diagnosed with genital HSV1 for about a year. I have had a few sexual partners, they were all okay with the herp but some of them clearly felt uncomfortable and proceeded to stop talking to me. But I have been on two dates with someone and I really want to try a relationship but sometimes I get nervous that when I tell him he won't think I'm "perfect" anymore. I'm wondering when is a good time to disclose to him and some tips on what to say

First, nobody should expect anyone to be perfect.

Personally, I always hoped to discover a girl's weirdness and imperfections early on. When I finally found someone who was not so guarded that they could be weird around me, I stuck with them!

Second, tell him by asking if he has any history of STDs, disorders or genetic conditions. It's a fair question to someone you are genuinely interested in. They will ask you the same, and you'll have your chance to be honest without just blurting it out.

Even better, most people have some stories about conditions in their family like heart diease or cancer, which gives you a chance to learn a little more about them and build a little bit of understanding.

Third, you have nothing to be so stressed about. You are giving him a chance to give consent. You are showing that you care about his ability to choose and his well-being, which demonstrates kindness and courage.

If he doesn't value kindness, courage and honesty, he's probably not that great anyway.