• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

In the midst of my first outbreak, igG results came back negative? What’s going on?

Hi everyone. I’ve had lesions/blisters around my vagina for maybe a week now? They started out as blister-looking sores (very painful and swollen, they still are btw) and I thought they were just irritation from tight underwear as the day after I wore underwear to sleep (I never wear undies lol) the bumps popped up! Didn’t think anything of it, but then I got more “sores” and “blisters” on my outer labia and it started hurting SO much to walk, and finally this past Saturday I saw they had turned into clusters of lesions around my vagina and on my outer and inner labia. In fact, a new spot just popped up yesterday... so I got tested for HSV 1 and 2 on Saturday and I got a call back from the lab AND a copy of my results and they were negative.

I’m like 99% sure I have genital herpes, could this be a false negative even though I’m still having an outbreak? Or is this something more or less serious? I’m planning on having someone visually examine these spots tomorrow. My boyfriend has been so supportive thankfully and he’s been reassuring me that we’re in this together, and he actually is exhibiting symptoms identical to mine. He had his looked at today and had a blood test done (awaiting results) but the doctor looked at his and they said it looks like herpes.

Please help if you can, I just want to know what’s going on lol.

Thank you!

Hi! Sorry you are going through this! It sounds like you got a blood test? If it’s from a recent exposure, it won’t show up in blood tests. You can do another blood test in 3 months- that’s when you have enough antibodies for it to show up in your blood. In the meantime, try to get those spots swabbed and they can do a culture and tell you what it is. Best of luck, and hope you both feel better soon!

Hi! Sorry you are going through this! It sounds like you got a blood test? If it’s from a recent exposure, it won’t show up in blood tests. You can do another blood test in 3 months- that’s when you have enough antibodies for it to show up in your blood. In the meantime, try to get those spots swabbed and they can do a culture and tell you what it is. Best of luck, and hope you both feel better soon!

Ahh that makes sense. I haven’t read anywhere that said antibodies wouldn’t be detectable in the first outbreak, in fact I’ve read and listened to many reputable sources that would imply the exact opposite. Well, in my gut I know it’s gotta be hsv-2, and I’ve accepted that since Saturday. Thank you for that info, I truly appreciate it. I’m honestly thankful that it’s only a common disease but man, the stigma attached to herpes had me bawling my eyes out while my boyfriend reassured me that it’s not a big deal lol. I’m glad he’s understanding, as we’re in an open relationship and have had multiple partners, so, yeah... I just want to get on some anti viral medication ASAP because I have to run and jump and stuff for work and let me tell you, it is very hard to do that with hsv-2 lolll

Well, unfortunately it seems there are plenty of doctors etc with a general lack of knowledge about hsv. Surprising they did not give a swab test! If you’ve had it for a while without symptoms- and the first symptoms are just showing up now (which can happen) then you would have tested positive, so at least you can rule that out, if you have no antibodies, it was definitely from something recent. It’s good that you have someone to go through this with, sounds like you can help each other through it. The stigma is ridiculous, but it sounds like you’ve got that figured out already! I think there would be less of a stigma if more people realized how common it is.

It's normal. I hadn't had sex since June 2017. Was tested for all STD's October and November and negative on all but HPV. No break outs or anything.

Had my first baby lesion in November and tested blood positive in January.

Not One Doc can explain how I can be negative that long after last sex (with a person I've had sex with many times) and not be positive in my blood. I did have my annual pap smear 14 days before first break out but they say - couldn't be it. Part of me is like, so where did I get it?