• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpetic Whitlow Ongoing Prodrome

Hi, so this is my first post, and much like everyone here I've been searching the internet for answers and/or other people who can relate. Long story short, I have had oral herpes since I was 12, it recently spread to the inside of my right nostril (when I was blowing my nose and not paying attention to the tissue getting in contact with my sore). I have severe allergies so I'm CONSTANTLY blowing my nose or wiping away mucous so I tried to be as cautious as I could with the outbreak in my nose to not be in contact with my fingers, but I know there were times when the mucous must've seeped through a tissue or two.

SO, that brings me to now. I have been experiencing tingling/tightness on the pads of my thumbs, left pointer finger, right ring finger, which comes and goes for the past 4 weeks. It went away for a few days then came back with a vengeance on my right thumb and right ring finger more recently, so I have band aids on those fingertips. There are no visible sores, not even under the skin, but now that I'm approaching the close of this 4th week there is burning pain on my right thumb and I'm no longer experiencing the tingling.

Everywhere I've looked online, the prodrome lasts anywhere from 2hrs-2days. So I'm curious as to what is going on with my digits? Has anyone experienced extremely long prodrome like this? I'm also really concerned about spreading the virus even more since viral shedding can occur during prodrome. I go back and forth on whether this is hsv or just my mind playing tricks, but the fact that I've never had anything like this happen with my digits and it just so happened to occur after the outbreak in my nose is too coincidental.

A few things that I'm currently doing/or had done:

- I was on Acylovir for 3/five day treatments

- I'm curretnly taking Lysine supplements (anywhere from 2000-4000mg a day depending on my symptoms)

- I am putting super lysine ointment on my finger tips and then putting a bandaid over them since that helped with the tingling and is currently aiding the burning.

- I have a DR appointment with a new doctor the day after tomorrow since my previous doctor was not helpful. Hoping to get answers or testing done, but know that that's a slim shot with no blisters present at this point.

Hello. I have had herpetic whitlow since October when I had my first outbreak. Since then it has pretty much been constant prodromes and small outbreaks. Basically just enough to have to worry about covering my hand everyday of my life (since I have a 2 year old). Its possible to feel prodrome in your hand from my experience, but if you have never had actual sores on your hand I wouldnt ve too concerned about it. Im almost positive that you can only shed herpes where you have had a past outbreak. Meaning if you have never had a lesion on your hand, I dont see how it could be shedding from there. Also sometimes I think we get tingles on our hands in general that has nothing to do with herpes

Hello. I have had herpetic whitlow since October when I had my first outbreak. Since then it has pretty much been constant prodromes and small outbreaks. Basically just enough to have to worry about covering my hand everyday of my life (since I have a 2 year old). Its possible to feel prodrome in your hand from my experience, but if you have never had actual sores on your hand I wouldnt ve too concerned about it. Im almost positive that you can only shed herpes where you have had a past outbreak. Meaning if you have never had a lesion on your hand, I dont see how it could be shedding from there. Also sometimes I think we get tingles on our hands in general that has nothing to do with herpes

Thank you for the response! I'm really stressed about the fact that I'm feeling prodrome on nearly all of my finger tips. It comes and goes, but I think I'm finally have an outbreak on my right ring finger since there are visible vesicles and the pain was horrible last night. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow about being on suppressive therapy to try and combat this. I too have been wearing gloves when I shower and have had very limited hand contact with my husband. Are you taking any medication to treat your smaller outbreaks?

Hi,

For the past 10 years I’ve experienced terrible outbreaks on my thumb which did spread to my index finger once, only occurring when I’ve been stressed or run down. The doctors couldn’t figure it out and last week, after reading some papers I decided to get an igg test. It came back positive for hsv2. I haven’t experienced an outbreak around my genitals.

Have you had an igg test? It may be worth getting one.

C

Just wanted to give a follow up on my Dr's appointment last Friday. She diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and said that it would be very difficult for me to auto inoculate myself from the HSV that I have orally and in my nose to my hands. SO, now I'm wearing wrist splints on both hands. The GOOD NEWS is, this doctor is very supportive of HSV suppressant therapy and put me on Valtrex for my oral OBs. Since those have been flaring up more frequently due to stress at work and hormonal issues that I happen to be going through in addition to all of the other joys in life.

Obviously, I'm still checking my fingers like a crazy person for blistering because I was SO convinced that I had whitlow. I hope to keep this post updated with my experiences since finding any type of information on whitlow is difficult even on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

I had a major breaking point last Tuesday. Drove all the way to work and sat in the parking lot crying, with my head in a dark place. I snapped out of it and immediately texted my husband letting him know I had to go to the ER or Urgent Care.

Got home and just lost it, he didn't know what to do but gave me the depression hotline number so I could talk to someone, which was SUPER helpful. Spoke on the phone for about 40 minutes with the helpline and felt a little more calm afterwards. Fortunately the Dr. Office called before I left the house for Urgent Care to schedule an appointment. I let them know where I was at mentally and the current state of my physical symptoms. She was able to get me in an appointment that day.

We get to the clinic and I had to see a different doctor since my PCP was out of the office. He took another look at my hands, and said, "Nope, not whitlow. I've never seen a case of HW before because they're incredibly rare." He then addresses my anxiety and depression because of this whole ordeal. Prescribes me anxiety medication and refers me to neurology so I can try and get some answers. I leave feeling a little bit better.

Husband insisted that I speak to a therapist so right after my appointment I call the Behavioral Health department. Let them know that I was in a really dark place earlier that morning. They scheduled me to come in later that afternoon.

I know that herpes of the hand sounds so silly to some people, and I never thought I'd be a person who obsesses over the possibility of having this but that doesn't negate how I'm feeling both emotionally, physically, and mentally. There ARE worst things out there, but that doesn't help me with what I'm feeling. The good out of all of this is that I'm fighting to get answers and continuing to seek help because I know that I need it and I desperately want it.

I apologize for the venting and frustration, I'm just allowing myself to feel a little down today before I pick up whatever bearings I have left and push on.

------------------------------

In regards to my physical symptoms: I now have the tingling on all ten fingertips. There is the forming of a blister on my left middle fingertip (raised white spot with red border). Both middle fingers are sensitive to touch all around the nail with blood spots and tenderness around the cuticles; however, I think the blood spots and tenderness might be due to wearing band aids on those digits.