• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Odor, anyone?

Hello-

A little bit about myself: I am a 30 year old female, married for 4 years.  According to my gynecologist, it is difficult to determine when I contracted HSV. This is the first time I have had a noticible outbreak. However, she is not convinced this it my first bout. 

I am pleasantly surprised with the difference a few days of acyclovir has made. I am able to tolerate the pain and discomfort much easier, which is helping my emotional state as well. I have also been seeing a therapist regularly for over a year which has strengthened my coping skills. I feel like I’m already, slowly, accepting my diagnosis. Each day gets easier.  I am able to openly talk about it with close friends and my husband, without shame or guilt. I certainly am lucky to have a great support system, this forum included, which has given me knowledge and guidance and hope for the future.  

Here is my question: I have tested negative for BV, yeast, chlaymida and gonorrhea. Still, I am having difficulty controlling the odor associated with thick, white to yellow, vaginal discharge. I am wearing cotton undergarments, which I change every 2-3 hours as my schedule allows. Still, I find it difficult to commit to social situations which may hinder my ability to change, and have fear that it could lead to an embarrassing situation. I have had a few instances where my discharge has leaked through my undergarment, to my clothing, which was noticeably pungent. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on calming the odor? I do use a bulb srynge with room temperature water to flush the outside of my vagina, and shower regularly, using the shower head to cleanse throughly. I am also having difficult keeping the areas dry, which is definitely adding to the problem. It is making me self conscious and causing anxiety. I do not want to put my life on hold for weeks at a time, if I can help it. I do not want to use anything that may hurt my fragile skin or hinder the healing process.

Thank you you in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

What type of odour is it? Musty? Fishy? Have you tried boric acid suppositories? You can get them off amazon. Insert 1x a day for 7 days and then insert some probiotic vaginal suppositories.  You may have an imbalance in your vaginal flora!

Hey there! There have been a lot of discussions about this. Check 'em out via search here:

https://forums.herpesopportunity.com/search/?q=odor

Good luck! 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: