• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Daily supressive therapy vs l-lysine and AV for OBs?

Im trying to figure out which is the better route. Will taking l-lysine supplements and watching my diet (which is already pretty healthy and blanced) be a better option than daily suppressants? Im leaning towards the supplements and having the AV script on hand for when I feel I might have an outbreak. Would love to hear others thoughts on it. 

Yes, if I understand correctly, suppressive therapy can interfere with the development of antibodies in the early stages of infection, so yes I think that is true. But after a year has passed I don’t think it makes a difference.  It does not suppress everything...it works by specifically disrupting the HSV’s ability to replicate, which lets your immune system get the upper hand on fighting an outbreak.  If you are always on it, your immune system has less virus to fight and therefore doesn’t get as strong as fast.  But once your immune system is strong, it stays strong against the virus.

I think your choice depends on your objectives. Suppressive therapy will reduce the frequency of outbreaks and the amount of viral shedding.  So if you are worried at all about transmission or bothered with frequent outbreaks to another then suppressive therapy makes sense.  If you aren’t worried about that or have minor/infrequent outbreaks then I probably would stay off it. 

• Thanks 2

Ugh that is also what I was concerned about as well. I am 99.99% last May when I had “terrible razor burn over my entire upper vagina” that was my first OB. that being said, my idiot self played it off as razor burn and fast forward to May 2018 being officially diagnosed. Now, since may I have had at least 5-6 OBs. Y’all last year it was like 1 every 7 months. SO I’m confused as hell about my body and my immune system..maybe it’s the anxiety of knowing that caused it? Idkkk

but I am currently on a daily AV (my first week acrually) and I feel sooo much calmer. But now I’m concerned about my own body being able to fight it because I don t wanna be on valtrex daily for life. 

Any suggestions or stories? 

@ML93(this is kinda what we were discussing if you’re interested)

25 minutes ago, ScaredGirl89 said:

Ugh that is also what I was concerned about as well. I am 99.99% last May when I had “terrible razor burn over my entire upper vagina” that was my first OB. that being said, my idiot self played it off as razor burn and fast forward to May 2018 being officially diagnosed. Now, since may I have had at least 5-6 OBs. Y’all last year it was like 1 every 7 months. SO I’m confused as hell about my body and my immune system..maybe it’s the anxiety of knowing that caused it? Idkkk

but I am currently on a daily AV (my first week acrually) and I feel sooo much calmer. But now I’m concerned about my own body being able to fight it because I don t wanna be on valtrex daily for life. 

Any suggestions or stories? 

@ML93(this is kinda what we were discussing if you’re interested)

I think Once we find our nerves get so bad until I caused Ob again! I had never had an ob until I found Out now I’ve had about 4! My vagina never burned or was irritated until I found out. Now it’s all the time! If I could stop the burning and irritation I would not get on medicine because right now my ob aren’t very bad. So is AV daily or just during an ob. 

• Like 1

I do have a close friend who also has HSV 2 and she only takes 1000mg of l-lysine and does watch what she eats (doesnt remove anything except cigarettes) She keeps a script on hand in case she feels any symptoms of a breakout and will take a 3 day when she feels it and hasn’t had another OB since her first in May. Stress can definitely do it though. I think I honestly had it for a few years and my first OB happened because of my lack of sleep, diet, and stress (I also had a missed period) idk. Its all confusing. My OB seems mild compared to what I’ve read about and my Dr told me it didn’t look like it was. More of a welt than sore and is almost cleared up (no pain when I wipe 🤦🏼‍♀️)

2 hours ago, CatMom said:

I do have a close friend who also has HSV 2 and she only takes 1000mg of l-lysine and does watch what she eats (doesnt remove anything except cigarettes) She keeps a script on hand in case she feels any symptoms of a breakout and will take a 3 day when she feels it and hasn’t had another OB since her first in May. Stress can definitely do it though. I think I honestly had it for a few years and my first OB happened because of my lack of sleep, diet, and stress (I also had a missed period) idk. Its all confusing. My OB seems mild compared to what I’ve read about and my Dr told me it didn’t look like it was. More of a welt than sore and is almost cleared up (no pain when I wipe 🤦🏼‍♀️)

Same thing here when I went my dr said the same thing until I tested positive! I think I’m going to start talking the l lysine as well because i don’t really want to do the daily suppressive. Do you know what she takes because I’m going to have me some meds on hand as well! My outbreaks come about every six months and they are not bad. It’s just some days I have Stinging and my skin burns on my back and arms. Would please ask her for me 

Shes been diagnosed in may and I was a week ago. Im currently on a 10 day, taking l-lysine and a womans health supp that has vit c. We both dont have stinging. Just a tingle. She gets it in her legs and lower back. I get it in my legs and inside. I did have a very very very tender clitoris until about 2 days ago though. I could barely wipe after I went to the bathroom. 

10 minutes ago, CatMom said:

Shes been diagnosed in may and I was a week ago. Im currently on a 10 day, taking l-lysine and a womans health supp that has vit c. We both dont have stinging. Just a tingle. She gets it in her legs and lower back. I get it in my legs and inside. I did have a very very very tender clitoris until about 2 days ago though. I could barely wipe after I went to the bathroom. 

Oh ok both of you are new to this I’m looking for a veteran female but we all stuck together. 

20 hours ago, mstanya1234 said:

Oh ok both of you are new to this I’m looking for a veteran female but we all stuck together. 

The good thing is you two have each other! I have No one and I’m scared half the time to get on this site because I hate reading what people write 

9 hours ago, ML93 said:

@ScaredGirl89 Thanks!! This is totally where my thought process was going as well... I’m still so unsure! 

I was taking lysine 1000mg 3x a day and only taking Valtrex as prescribed during my first OB. Since then I was always so paranoid about every little thing which I most likely wrongly interpreted as a second OB that I used up all my “just incase” scripts within a month. So I was on and off it but had no issues as I was sticking to the lysine everyday. I did convince my doctor to give me suppressive therapy which was 1 500mg Valtrex a day. Since that, I stopped the lysine, missed one day of my suppressive therapy dose and had my second OB within the day. There was no mistaking this and it SUCKED. It was a lot less severe than the first one but still extremely annoying and uncomfortable. Honestly I wonder if because I’ve been pumping my body with so much Valtrex my immune response to the second OB was pretty crappy. Especially since I have hsv1, I was totally hoping I would be one of the people to never get a second OB at all. 

I know I wish That was my case too! Really I never Had a noticeable outbreak until I took My first dose of medicine for extreme itching on the outside of my vagina! I cant Remember having a terrible outbreak and I’m praying to God I dont! The last outbreak I had I took 2 Valtrex back to back and it caused and allergic reaction to my body! I dont Think I will Be able to take it so I just Have to tough throughy outbreaks! I out Vitamin a:d cream when I do!! If anyone wants to talk email me at tanyamw2711@gmail.com because I’m going to get off this site for a while to try to stop stressing do much