• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Describe your first breakout?

Hi @Loyalloulou

I read your other post too so will respond to both here. Your other post had some auto-corrects that made it a bit confusing, but hope i can help you out.

Yes, first outbreak can be painful. Everyone is different! Mine wasn't too painful. It started with a couple of itchy bumps on my labia. They turned to blisters that later broke open. Nothing major for me. Itching was worse than pain. I was diagnosed with HSV2 with a swab test at Planned Parenthood (they were great) and they prescribed antiviral meds. The bad part was that my HSV2 didn't respond to the meds. The lesions would start to clear up in one area, but start in another a quarter inch away. Frustrating. That was 4 years ago.

You'll need to do your own research and find what works for you. I've posted what works for me on other threads and will copy & paste here:

"I researched and dug around focusing mainly on natural treatments and on the fact that the virus is a living organism that responds to its environment. There are 3 main things that have been useful to me and what I do to prevent outbreaks.

1. I learned that HSV2 prefers a warmer, moister environment than HSV1. This explains the locations where the viral outbreaks "usually" occur (i.e. warm, moist genitals for HSV2.)

2. Both HSV1 & 2, as well as herpes zoster (aka chicken pox/shingles) like to hang out in the nervous system when not active. HSV2 likes the base of the spine particularly so prodrome often shows up as low back ache or nerve pain down the leg.

3. HSV2 likes the amino acid arginine, but not lysine.

My self care routine specifically for HSV2 (not including general health maintenance like exercise) goes something like this:

For active outbreak, make the environment as UNHEALTHY FOR THE VIRUS as possible.

Keep the area as dry and cool as possible. (This is also soothing for painful lesions.)

Sit on a gel ice pack; sleep with it over the affected area. Put a cloth between pack and skin; just needs to be cooler not frozen.

Let a fan blow on the affected area for about a half hour as many times a day as you can stand it. This cools and dries. Watch a comedy on video while you wait. It goes with the ridiculous position you might find yourself assuming in order to fan the area. (Some recommend hair dryers, but they tend to blow warm air.)

During work when you can't do any of the above, place small pad of folded up toilet paper over the lesions (I'm assuming they're in the genital area) so that it stays dry and isn't contacting any other moist areas. Change every time you go to restroom.

Get lots of sleep especially for active outbreak and prodrome. I drink Nighty Night herbal tea by Traditional Medicinals if worrying prevents me from sleeping. (This is what works for me; not an endorsement.)

I avoid high arginine foods. Unfortunately, this means chocolate. In retrospect, i wonder if my first outbreak went on so long because i was eating so much of my favorite comfort food. Nothing will bring on an outbreak for me faster than eating chocolate 3-4 days in a row. You might have different food triggers. You'll have to pay attention to see if there are any connections

I take 3000 mg of lysine 3 times per day during OB and prodrome. 3000mg daily for maintenance. Lysine counters arginine so if I forget and indulge in too much chocolate, then I'll take extra lysine.

For my nervous system, I take lemon balm in capsule form (1600mg daily; times 3 during OB or prodrome. ) Lemon balm has traditionally been used as a nerve tonic.

For me, lemon balm seems to help with any nerve pain that might crop up. An ice pack on low back helps too. And because I find the nerve sensations annoyingly exhausting, as well as painful, I'll take naproxen (Aleve) to take down the inflammation.

Avoid stressing your system. Yes, manage the usual stress, but also be diligent about taking care of yourself. For example, if you have allergies, take your meds and avoid allergens. Your body doesn't need to fight allergies AND herpes.

Nowadays, my outbreaks, when I have them, last 7-10 days tops following this protocol. I'm not sure how often I have them anymore; it's become such a non-issue. I can usually pinpoint something I've done like eat chocolate that brought it on. I can also catch it during prodrome and stop a full outbreak from happening."

This was long, but I hope helpful.

Good Luck!

Yes. I agree I'm nervous and confused at the same time. I'm assuming I'm having a breakout. But after searching the internet my symptom isn't near what I've read.  The first time I test* considering it was way to early it came out negative. After months later I tested again and it came out POSITIVE. I have bumps there not painful I popped one *me being curious it bleed then I looked again it disapearred like it never exist. I'm itching but it nowhere near where the bumps were. I didn't started itching until I started researching I think that part is all in my head. 

Thank you for responding and trying to put what I wrote together lol. I want to say so much but I keep jumping from one thing to another..

I've taken a swab test the day after I've gotten positive result  I'm waiting on the swab test results to come back do you think I'll come back positive too?