• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Rate my initial OB

Background: I have been in a monogamous relationship w my wife for the last 15 years.

Woke up in the middle of the night w an annoying burning sensation on the foreskin (I'm circumcised) of my penis.  Figured it was chafed.  Was too tired and sensation wasn't strong enough to make the alarm bells ring.  Went back to sleep.

Walking into work that morning had ridiculous itching on my left butt cheek and behind my left knee.  Still clueless.  Penis still feeling chafed.

Looked at my penis after going to the gym.....thought I had poison ivy. Laying in bed that night wondering why the poison ivy was only on my penis....light bulb went on.  FML! Didn't sleep that night researching herpes.  Pretty sure I had it.  Planned on going to the Dr. The next day.

Showering the next morning and felt dizzy.  The sensation would not pass.  Had to sit down in the shower, afraid I would pass out.  Next thing I know I'm coming to.  Was biting down hard....on my cheek.  Almost had bitten through it.  Barely made it back to bed.  Felt like the flu coming on.  Made it into the dr. a few hrs later.  Dr was not in that day, met w the nurse practioner.  She took one look and said, that's almost certainly herpes.   Got on valtrex (1 gram twice a day).  No Swab test....

Able to go to work the next day and even to the gym (weight lifting no cardio).  The tip of my penis hurts a little.  More blisters, some swelling.  Rash (Not blisters) behind knee and on butt cheek and hip.  Itch like crazy.

By the end of the week my penis is unrecognizable.  If the elephant man saw my penis he would cringe.  I can't stand to wash it in the shower bc I am grossed out.  Red marks on my inner thighs and rash my by knees.  My left upper eye lid has been swollen for about 5 days.

No problems peeing (thank you Jesus). Constipation setting in at end of week 1.  Blisters on shaft of penis are drying out, no ulcerations (ty Jesus, again).  Things seem to be clearing up....

Week 2 sees new blisters on my right foot, inside my belly button, and on torso, bumps on my lower back. Red marks above my penis in pubic hair region.  Penis swelling going down.  Then I noticed some small marks on my fingers.  Hard to explain these, they look fluid filled, small, barely raised, clustered, on the sides of my fingers.

Don't believe this to be whitlow.  Not in cuticle, no redness, no swelling, no pain. A few days later they look more like warts. My right index finger is so covered w them I hide it with a gaus wrap and say I have poison ivy.  These lasted a week and then faded.  Again, no ulcerations.

Now at the end of third week and only have visual remnants of where rashes were.  Think it's over.  Wife has blood tested negative.  Just have questions now.

1)  picked it up and no OB for 15-25 years...really?

2)  do i have 15-25 years of antibodies built up or is it like I just contracted it bc i never had a OB till now?

3)  based on 15-25 years of no OB do I have a good chance of not having  More?

Btw I had a ridiculously stressful few weeks leading up to this OB.  Wife lost her job unexpectedly.  Her parents split up and her mom came to live w us for a,week.  Then I crashed my car.  I thought I was handling it all pretty good but I guess deep down I was stressed out.

Thanks!

Damn! Im sorry you’re dealing with everything all at once, it sounds like you’ve had a really rough go. 

Im very curious why no swab test was done. That would’ve been the most accurate way to tell whether you’re dealing with H or not. From what you described, it sounds more like shingles to me. The locations and severity of your symptoms don’t sound like HSV, but I’m not a doctor. 

From what I’ve read it is entirely possible to have had it for 15yrs and just now have an outbreak due to high stress. I believe I’m in a similar situation.

as far as antibodies, I’m not 100% sure but I think you would have antibodies from about 4 months after initial exposure on until now. So yes 15yrs worth. Maybe someone else who’s more informed about this can comment?

As far as whether you’ll have another ob, it’s almost impossible to know for sure. Everyone seems to react differently. I would research how to prevent future outbreaks and make those changes to your lifestyle. But only do so if you’ve tested positive, I would seriously inquire about shingles and have your doctor try to get to the bottom of what’s going on with you. Shingles and herpes are in the same family of virus. 

Wish you the best and let us know how you do.

Just found a picture of early herpes on finger on verywellhealth.com.  looks exactly like my fingers. I guess all H on finger is called whitlow?? I had thought whitlow was different kind of H (finger infection only).  

After researching shingles my bet is that I have herpes.  I will get a blood test to be certain though.  Damn, I was a little excited it could be shingles...😟