• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question . Please. Flu shots and outbreaks?

Hey there! I got a flu shot maybe two/three weeks after my first outbreak, and I was fine. I asked my nurse practitioner about it and she said I'd be ok since I had been taking Valtrex and was over my initial 10 day course, and I've also been on daily suppressives ever since. I think you should be ok! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dreamerb2257 said:

Hey there! I got a flu shot maybe two/three weeks after my first outbreak, and I was fine. I asked my nurse practitioner about it and she said I'd be ok since I had been taking Valtrex and was over my initial 10 day course, and I've also been on daily suppressives ever since. I think you should be ok! 

I’m still not 100% and feel as though my immune system hasn’t been very good. I got horrible allergies and been sneezing and dealing with head pressure. I’m truly scared to get it now. How long have you had the virus? I was diagnosed at the end of July this year.. just worried to much overload for my immune system right now.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I've only had the virus for 6 weeks. The allergies and sneezing could be unrelated perhaps. Regardless, I'd take some supplements to boost your immune system just in case. I take multivitamins daily along with 1,000 mg of lysine. Also try your best to relax ... I hear stress can be a trigger by those I've met who've had the virus for a while.

Take care of yourself! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dreamerb2257 said:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I've only had the virus for 6 weeks. The allergies and sneezing could be unrelated perhaps. Regardless, I'd take some supplements to boost your immune system just in case. I take multivitamins daily along with 1,000 mg of lysine. Also try your best to relax ... I hear stress can be a trigger by those I've met who've had the virus for a while.

Take care of yourself! 

I’m take 1000 lysine everyday and have been since I heard I had this on top of 1000 my of vitamin c and 50 mg of zinc and take  multivitamin and extra vitamin e and Dhea for mood.. I take melatonin for sleep and it helps relax me. I also exercise a few days a week in therapy and take my daily suppressive therapy.. I feel like I’m doing everything possible but sometimes i feel it’s not enough. Thank u for responding.

10 minutes ago, dreamerb2257 said:

It seems like you're doing all the right things! Of course ... I'm here if you need to chat 🙂 

I really appreciate it. It’s been a struggle emotionally dealing with getting this virus and I can only hope and pray it gets better in time. I have only told 3 family members and 2 friends because it was extremely hard not talking to someone about this. My doctor makes it seem like it’s nothing as he feels most of the population has it. Still doesn’t make me feel any better. 

I know, and I'm right there with you. I've come a long way in the past 6 weeks ... it does just take time. Like you, my np says its very common and that it's not a major health problem. It's very frustrating because of the stigma. What's really helped me is therapy, support groups, and social events for people with H. Just meeting others who are in the same boat is more comforting. Besides people I've obviously met through these groups, I've only told my parents and one friend. 

• Like 1