• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

3 months since diagnosis and still not fully recovered

Hey ya'll - I've been reading the forum since I've gotten the diagnosis in August, looking for insight on different issues I've been experiencing and you guys have been very helpful answering a lot of FAQ. I have a more specific question for the ladies and also those that are very active and exercise frequently...

Since I was diagnosed with hsv2 in August I've had two outbreaks with the first one being the worst and then this last one was triggered by my menstrual cycle and believe it or not EXERCISE!

I also know that stress can be a trigger and to reduce stress and deal with my anxiety, I've always used exercise but since I've been trying to heal, working out only seems to prolong the outbreak in my genital area.  What are some ways that you get around the issues of reoccuring outbreaks? How do you allow yourself to heal from one outbreak without stressing over if/when the next one will happen?

I've gotten over the initial shock and now I just want to know my triggers so I can stay on top of them, but I think I'm stressing over it too much and now my body isn't fully recovering. Help!

Are you excerising while having an outbreak? If you are then it’s probably best to wait it out before doing it again (that’s probably why it’s prolonging it while you’re trying to heal). Outbreaks can be caused from having your period too, it sucks but I think because it’s just around that time probably the hormones and apparently the immune system gets a bit lower when you’re going to get your period which is possible as to why you’re prone to outbreaks during this time 

6 minutes ago, cantgetoverthis said:

Are you excerising while having an outbreak? If you are then it’s probably best to wait it out before doing it again (that’s probably why it’s prolonging it while you’re trying to heal). Outbreaks can be caused from having your period too, it sucks but I think because it’s just around that time probably the hormones and apparently the immune system gets a bit lower when you’re going to get your period which is possible as to why you’re prone to outbreaks during this time 

yeah I think my outbreak was not finished and the exercising made it worse. It realllllyyyyyy sucks that my period is a trigger because I already get it bad with my hormones, pms a week before, dealing with fibroids, etc. Thank you for the insight 🙂

• 1 month later...

Hi, make sure your pants aren’t tight as I find this brings outbreaks on...I run a lot and learnt the hard way not to wear thongs when exercising 🤣😳 my initial outbreak lasted ages, literally IM’s heal then get another and it lasted for months. I ended up being on tablets to surpress it, around 6 months I think? and this worked. I now get occasional outbreaks 12 years on and they’re only painful for a few days. I’ve just ordered some cbd oil to try as heard it can help herpes outbreaks...

• 4 weeks later...

I would say, if you get outbreaks around the time you get your period because of hormones, I may suggest birth control. My doctor offered to supply me with birth control that allows only a period every three months.

Regarding anxiety and herpes.....

I too struggle with anxiety. Working out is a great way to release some of that.  I agree with what others have said above. I don’t know what kind of excersising you do, but if you really need to work out and have an outbreak, I would suggest lifting weights (with arms). There’d be less friction, if any at all. 

Working out is great, but meditation is great too for anxiety. I use it to strengthen my mind and train myself when anxious. In turn it calms your anxiety down, calming your anxiety down. I definitely see a difference with outbreaks. They are a lot less.  I use in a spiritual, way not really chakra focused or anything like that way. I still get them during my period though.  

Regardless, it works for me and hope I was able to help out! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey, what can really help is using some kind of barrier cream. Herpes causes broken skin and moisture from vaginal secretions, urine and sweat makes it harder to heal. If you're overworking in your exercise and causing stress to your body, that can prolong it but sweat can too. You can use something like zinc diaper cream. It's super thick and blocks moisture from getting to the sore and then wear cotton underwear and pants that are not too tight. Hope that helps.