• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

15 years symptom free, not now :-|

Heya beautiful people, I've had herpes (don't know what type) for 15 years. I have been symptom free until the last 6 months. I have now had 2 outbreaks in the last 6 months, both have started just before my period and I have felt particularly pms'y so I'm guessing hormones are playing a part. Has anyone else experienced this? It's strange because I have had a really bad illness about 2 years ago which weakened my immune system, but I never had an outbreak during or immediately subsequent to that so I'm confused as to why I'm getting outbreaks when I'm probably the healthiest I've ever been...

Sounds hormonal 😞 Not sure what changed, but if you're starting to feel really "pms-y" and you used to not feel that way, maybe something has changed in your cycle.

Are you on suppressive therapy? You might want to consider taking valtrex daily, or if you don't want to take it daily, maybe try starting it like a week before your period (or right before you normally get them) and continue until your period ends, and see if that helps keep the OBs at bay?

@tiredandlonely thanks for your reply. I usually get pms but this was on another level. I thought about it later and I also got a flu shot last week and I had to take care of 3 sick animals at home as well as my 2 jobs so maybe I just over taxed my body. Am thinking about going to Dr this time. I haven't done so before, but I'm wondering if I'm enduring pain for no reason lol!

Yes, I agree that your immune system being maxed out from the flu shot and stress + hormonal surges might have just been the perfect storm for an outbreak. 

I don't think there is any reason to endure pain if it can be avoided. As long as you tolerate the meds (and they're safe and have been around for decades, and most people tolerate them fine), then I don't think it's all that different from taking advil if you have a headache or sudafed if you have a stuffy nose...

I just wanted to mention that since you already have a diagnosis, you could also go to the doctor and say you've been getting more frequent outbreaks and ask for a prescription to have on hand for when you do get an outbreak (you don't necessarily have to wait until one happens). I think most doctors would be happy to prescribe valtrex/acylovir for someone in your situation. Then at least you have it on hand for when all the stress and hormones get the better of you 🙂

PS: I hope your animals are okay/getting better!

• Thanks 1