• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Knowing the origin of the virus

Hi all!

So I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 (was tested 1 month ago after my IO). I had a talk with a very supportive gf and she went and got tested as well. She is living in Canada, so we went to different clinics. Her doc told her that she was infected within the last 12 weeks. This would make sense, because she visited me right at the end of March and my IO happened just a couple days after she left. From what I have read and learned, there is no way to know when someone initially came into contact with the virus. Is there something that we are missing or is this doc giving bad info? Any ideas or info you all have is much appreciated!

More information is needed. How were you tested? Did you get tested at the time of your initial outbreak, or only one month later?

What test did they use to diagnose your girlfriend?

If you were tested by IgG and it was positive, then there is no way to know when infection occurred. 

My understanding is the only way to identify a recent infection is how it happened for me: I had an initial outbreak, and it was swabbed and positive for HSV-2. I had a blood test at the same time and it was negative for HSV-2 antibodies on IgG. About a month to 6 weeks later (don't remember exact dates), I had another blood test and it was positive for IgG. 

If she had IgM testing, hopefully it was done in combination with IgG testing because IgM is not reliable. It she had IgG testing and was negative, then she needs to get retested when it is 12 weeks after her last exposure (in this amount of time most people will develop antibodies). If the IgG is positive at that time, then it will confirm that she recently acquired the infection. 

But if she has not had a negative IgG test, then you do not have a baseline.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tiredandlonely said:

More information is needed. How were you tested? Did you get tested at the time of your initial outbreak, or only one month later?

What test did they use to diagnose your girlfriend?

If you were tested by IgG and it was positive, then there is no way to know when infection occurred. 

My understanding is the only way to identify a recent infection is how it happened for me: I had an initial outbreak, and it was swabbed and positive for HSV-2. I had a blood test at the same time and it was negative for HSV-2 antibodies on IgG. About a month to 6 weeks later (don't remember exact dates), I had another blood test and it was positive for IgG. 

If she had IgM testing, hopefully it was done in combination with IgG testing because IgM is not reliable. It she had IgG testing and was negative, then she needs to get retested when it is 12 weeks after her last exposure (in this amount of time most people will develop antibodies). If the IgG is positive at that time, then it will confirm that she recently acquired the infection. 

But if she has not had a negative IgG test, then you do not have a baseline.

I will do my best to figure this out. Thanks for the pointers! I had soars swabbed during my IO. I believe she had a blood test because she has experienced no symptoms. Will certainly get back in touch with her doc and report back. Thanks!

Good luck!

I also just want to mention that at the end of the day, I hope it doesn't matter who acquired the infection from whom. It does suck to be in this situation, but you both clearly had no idea about any prior infection, so whoever had it first did not do this intentionally. 🙂

Just now, tiredandlonely said:

Good luck!

I also just want to mention that at the end of the day, I hope it doesn't matter who acquired the infection from whom. It does suck to be in this situation, but you both clearly had no idea about any prior infection, so whoever had it first did not do this intentionally. 🙂

Much appreciated! She was so great when I originally gave her the news and I do not see this being any sort of issue for us. Just wanting to learn more.