• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 at the back of throat

So, just found out I have hsv2 at the back of my throat as well! It’s been a strange few weeks, I’ve been outbreak free for nearly 4 months. 3 weeks ago though I noticed something that looked like a canker sore at the back of my throat. It didn’t hurt at all it was just kind of hanging back there. I went to my doctor and she said she had no idea, just keep an eye on it. I went back a week later because it grew to be about 3-4 mm and I had a bit of white puss around the back of my other tonsil. She still coudnt explain it so she booked me with an ENT. Then 4 days after that I started waking up with jaw pain on one side, it hurt to clench my jaw. So I went Back to the doctor again and this time she decided to do some swabs. I just got the phone call to confirm it was an hsv2 outbreak in my throat. What a weird year this has been?? It was entirely painless which I think is a bit strange. And the jaw pain, I assume it was connected to it because now I feel fine. Does anyone here have any experience with this, I feel like I’ve been diagnosed all over again. 

Dang, that's no fun! Sorry you got hit with it all over again. 😕 The good news here is that HSV-2 doesn't prefer hanging out orally (since only 1% of cases of HSV-2 are oral), so subsequent outbreaks will be quite mild and infrequent (and you probably won't get another outbreak in your throat after this one after your body develops antibodies to it). Here's a quick overview of HSV-1 vs. HSV-2: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/hsv-1-hsv-2-the-two-types-of-herpes

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thanks, this is really helpful. I’ve heard this often, that it doesn’t prefer to hangout orally. When you say I’ll develop antibodies, I was diagnosed 8 months ago with hsv2G, and I can already tell that my body has developed antibodies, because it’s becoming more infrequent and more mild with every reoccurrence. Do our bodies continue to build antibodies? For instance, is my body building up a defence against outbreaks in my throat now? Or does this happen in general? 

It’s a slow process, but generally it takes 6 months to a year for the body to develop antibodies to the kinds of levels that have a suppressive effect. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: