• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV transmission where both partners have herpes and one has an outbreak

My girlfriend and I both have HSV 1 and HSV 2. She has had a cold sore on her lips in the past, but I have not. If I perform oral sex on her when she has a genital outbreak is it likely that I would contract a cold sore around my mouth? I should also point out that we both take acyclovir for suppressive therapy. I realize the answer seems obvious, but given the fact I already have the two antibodies and I'm on suppressive therapy I thought I'd ask.

Many thanks,

DSF

Heya DSF!

Welcome to the forums!

You're going to want to avoid any sort of intimate contact whenever there is an active herpes outbreak, whether oral or genital. It just makes it easier to spread herpes from one part of the body to another (which is generally hard to do). Antibodies don't do a very good job of protecting you from the amount of herpes virus that comes from an active outbreak. Outbreaks are simply viral shedding that has reached a crescendo that spills over into a physical reaction; it's basically viral overload on the surface of the skin that creates an outbreak. Your herpes antibodies will help to keep the virus at bay when it comes to viral shedding in between outbreaks, but during outbreaks, just play some sexy games or tease each other without touching the vicinity of the outbreak.

(By the way, this has possibly been the MOST fun I've had with my then-girlfriend was the teasing since we couldn't touch where my outbreak was happening. But we could touch eeeeeeverywhere else ... Definitely kicks the imagination/creativity in. Super sexy!) ;)

In fact, here's a blog article/video about this subject (even though both of you have it, the concept of avoiding the outbreak spot on each other still applies). :)

http://herpeslife.com/keeping-your-partner-herpes-free-can-be-super-sexy/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

HI DSF,

if you both take suppressive medicin you still can contract HSV 1 at your lips, you should avoid to kiss her if she having an outbreak.....you still can get an outbreak even if you have HSV1 too.You only need an little open wound and couple of ours later you get an OB on your lips.So please dont make any body contact in this area at this time.well if she have an OB at here lips kiss here in diffrent areas :)the body is a big landscape.have fun :)