• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Internal herpes outbreaks? (Dr. Warren and The Handbook)

I am so confused by a certain stat in Dr.Warren’s writing. 

I have never heard about internal lesions on the cervix until I read her “good news about the bad news”. So much of what we discuss here and other places is how to focus on the low transmission rates when all precautions are taken, but isn’t that completely negated by the idea we can have open lesions internally and not know?

Struggling lately with disclosure and how to present it with a mix of honesty and logic. 

Great question, @laketodo! Have you previously experienced an external outbreak, or did you discover your herpes status through a positive blood test? If you've had external outbreaks, then any potential internal ones typically coincide with these external episodes. (And for an added layer of data-gathering, you could go to your doctor when you're having an external outbreak to have them look internally as well.) The virus, when reactivating from dormancy, stimulates regions along the nerves where outbreaks usually pop up. So it's super rare to have an internal outbreak without any external signs or symptoms. From everything I've heard (and even in talking with Terri), recurring outbreaks inside the vagina are rare; most outbreaks are somewhere on the labia, around the anus or on the buttocks.

The primary strategy to protect partners is abstaining from sexual activity when you notice any signs or symptoms. If you abstain when you have any signs or symptoms, the transmission rates for female-to-male transmission apply. This translates to approximately 4% annually without a condom or daily suppressive therapy meds, and 1% with both preventive measures.

You can find comprehensive info about transmission risk in the handouts with H Opp's free ebook here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Internal herpes outbreaks? (Dr. Warren and The Handbook)