• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Could I have spread oral HSV-1 to my genitals?

Hi! 

I was diagnosed with HSV-1 orally 13 years ago after a sexual assault. I had an initial outbreak but haven’t had anything since. I started to feel a tingle on both corners of my mouth and freaked out as I have an 8 week old baby at home. I rushed to Google and saw that if I was having a true outbreak then Lysine may help. I started taking Lysine and all of a sudden started developing dry itchy skin on my face, my lips were super dry, my eyes itched. I stopped taking it after 2.5 days because the potential sores never came about. Now I have horrible pelvic burning pain. No sores that I can see. No itching. Just the burning pain. I thought I have a UTI but got tested and all was normal. I mentioned that I had HSV to the doctor, but she brushed it off and said I would have other symptoms if that were the case. But now I am wondering could I have contracted HSV-1 to my genitals? I was very careful with hand washing when I thought I was getting a sore, but crazier things have happened I’m sure. Also, I haven’t had sex since having the baby since my husband is getting a vasectomy soon. Anyway, I am just looking for some answers and hopefully clarity on what could be happening. 

Hey there, @pbw_9!

First of all, congrats on your sweet sweet baby! And kudos for being proactive and seeking answers. It's completely natural to be concerned, especially when you're experiencing new sensations. (That momma bear is in full effect!)

HSV-1 is typically associated with oral herpes, but it can also cause genital infections, but that only tends to happen through oral-genital contact (aka oral sex when the partner has cold sores and goes down on their partner). However, the symptoms you're describing might not necessarily point directly to a genital HSV-1 infection. Burning sensations can be caused by various factors, including hormonal changes after childbirth, dryness, or even stress.

Also, if you've had HSV-1 for 13 years, your body has built up plenty of antibodies for it to not spread orally to genitally. Auto-inoculation (spreading herpes from one part of your body to another) generally only happens with those who have weak immune systems or in the window of time where the body hasn't had enough time to develop antibodies to keep the virus under control. 

The tingling sensation around your mouth might have triggered a bit of a scare, and it's good that you stopped taking Lysine when you noticed the side effects. Sometimes, our bodies can react differently to supplements.

Regarding the burning pelvic pain, have you checked in with your doc about it? It's important to consult with a healthcare professional, especially if the pain persists. They can help determine the cause and provide appropriate guidance.

Lastly, I'd advise against relying on Dr. Google – it can often lead to unnecessary worry. It's still the wild wild west out there! 😆

Keep your spirits up, and remember that seeking medical guidance is the best step forward. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out. You got this!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to Could I have spread oral HSV-1 to my genitals?