• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Use Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) to reduce herpes outbreak

I had genital herpes for many years. The outbreak on the penis happens once every several months. However, there are other types of outbreak. It happens in the area between the testicles and the anus. It happens more often and lasts much longer. One area is healed and then another area starts. By accident I found that TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)helps reduce the outbreaks of the herpes. It seems the herpes virus doesn't like the electric current. Couple sessions of TENS treatment would send the virus into remission. Nowadays there are many hand held TENS devices. It doesn't cost that much. But I do recommend to purchase one with a good quality. They are safe and do what it supposed to do. Don't buy cheap ones. The treatment can be done by oneself. It's actually quite comfortable as long as you don't turn the voltage too high. Most of the time it's just feeling a little tingling. Place the two electrodes on the opposite side of the area where outbreaks tend to happen. And area where you have nerve pains. Of course don't over do it as it may have other detrimental effects. Also don't use it above one's waist because it may cause heart attack. I highly recommend to give it a try.

Hi @dd123

Thanks for sharing your experience with TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) as a potential way to manage herpes outbreaks. It's really intriguing to explore different methods for dealing with herpes and its related symptoms.

There's a study from 2015, "Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation for chronic post-herpetic neuralgia," which delves into the use of TENS, but there's a slight twist. TENS is typically used to manage chronic pain conditions like postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), often associated with shingles (a different virus than genital herpes, HSV-2). PHN can bring persistent and sometimes severe pain to areas previously affected by shingles.

The study demonstrated some promise in reducing pain for PHN patients, suggesting the potential of TENS in managing specific herpes-related complications. However, it's important to note that while genital herpes and shingles are distinct conditions, they might share a common viral origin.

Before considering any experimental alternatives, I'd strongly advise you to have a conversation with your trusted healthcare professional. They can provide you with personalized guidance and explore various strategies for managing both the virus and any associated symptoms.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• 2 months later...