• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How likely is it....

So I did not know at the time I was having my first "outbreak" (it was one little spot almost right in my perineum area) anyway, I was fingered on Wednesday.  I noticed the spot Thursday (next day) . He washed his hands after fingering me.....do I now have to worry he's going to get a blister or "outbreak" on his fingers ? I know it sounds crazy but idk if the virus can live on hands or since now finding out I have hsv2 if it's just genital to genital or genital to mouth ?  I'm just confused by hsv1 & hsv2 and how they can be spread ect....

So HSV2 prefers to stay below the belt, having HSV2 orally is very uncommon.  I'm thinking that if he washed his hands right afterword's, he should be fine.  I have never heard of an initial outbreak being on hands or fingers.  

HSV1 is commonly associated with oral cold sores.  Recently with the increase of oral sex, HSV1 has been common in the genital area due to someone getting oral sex during an active outbreak or during asymptomatic shedding.  

HSV2 likes to stay in the genital region because this strain of the virus hides in the base of the spinal nerves.  

Herpes can spread at anytime but the percentages of spreading is very small.  I don't know the actual percentages of spreading for each strain of herpes but I'm hoping @mr_hopp can answer that for us in more detail. 

Hey there @sunshine367,

Sorry for the late response, our whole family is just getting over our first bout of Covid. Oof! 

I can understand your concerns about how herpes can be transmitted, especially when you're still getting familiar with how HSV1 and HSV2 work. It's great that you're seeking information and clarity.

As @AlliKat12 mentioned, HSV2 typically prefers the genital area, and it's quite rare for initial outbreaks to occur on hands or fingers. Plus, the virus doesn't tend to thrive on skin surfaces like the hands. It's more commonly transmitted through direct genital-to-genital contact or genital-to-mouth contact (more warm mucous membranes), especially during outbreaks or asymptomatic shedding.

HSV1 is often associated with oral cold sores, but it can also infect the genital area through oral-genital contact during an active outbreak or asymptomatic shedding. (More than 50% of all new genital herpes cases are HSV-1, transmitted via oral sex when the giving partner had an oral outbreak and went down on their partner.)

When it comes to transmission, while it's important to be cautious, the chances of spreading the virus are relatively low, especially when you take preventive measures like using protection and avoiding contact during active outbreaks. For a detailed breakdown on transmission rates based on outbreak location and type of herpes, get the free ebook & handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Seeking knowledge and understanding about herpes is a great step toward managing it and making informed choices in your relationships.

Feel free to ask more questions or share any concerns you have; this community is here to support you. You're not alone in this journey!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: