• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

6 Months of Non-Stop Sores and Prodromal Symptoms Driving Me Crazy

Hi All - Sorry in advance for the long commentary, but I need help, my herpes is driving me mad!

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with genital HSV-1, which I got from my current boyfriend that I am still with. After my first outbreak, the virus remained dormant up for almost 5 years up until 6 months ago. I took a 2 week trip with my bf and I believe that it was a combination of triggers that led to my current outbreak. We had sex everyday (caused a lot of friction), I didn't sleep as much, I ate foods high in arginine, and I got sick with covid. At first, it didn't really register that this was going to be a bad herpes outbreak because I hadn't experienced anything like this before. But in the last 6 months I have had nonstop tingling/itching met with sores that just never seem to go away. 

Last month, I decided that enough was enough and that I can't keep living like this, I need to fix it and go back to the way things were. In the last month, I have given up chocolate, nuts, alcohol, and caffeine. I am also sleeping 8+ hours per night and loading up on supplements like vitamins b,c,d,e and zinc. I also have been refraining from scratching. I also use vaseline down there when it hurts or gets bothersome and itchy. 

I made the discovery last month that there is a sore in the opening of my vagina, and two on the labia next to it that have not gone away. It also looks like my perineum is sensitive as I bleed from there when I poop. The sores have a whitish/yellowish discharge. I have not had sex in the last 3 weeks as I try to heal, but what I'm doing doesn't seem to be working and I am becoming desperate. I am making an appt with an obgyn and am going to look into taking lysine supplements and suppressive antivirals.

This whole ordeal has made me feel very depressed and hopeless. I want my old life back, when this beast hadn't awaken yet. I am hoping that I can get this to become dormant again and revert back to how it was over the last 5 years before this madness. I also want to resume some aspect of my sex life. I'm wondering maybe if I use a lot of lube or coconut oil and have gentle sex if that could be ok. I haven't had sex in the last few weeks to prevent cuts, but I still manage to get them anyways so may as well have sex with my bf I guess who already has hsv 1 and gave it to me. The cuts seem to just not be able to heal, so I am getting pretty freaked out.

PLEASE let me know if you have had similar experience and/or what has helped you! I really want to feel some hope that this will get better.

Hey there, @ashleytiffania!

Oof, sounds like you've been through a really tough time — I'm sorry! And I totally get how overwhelming this can feel. First off, kudos to you for taking all those proactive steps to manage your symptoms. It's clear you're doing everything you can to find relief and regain a sense of normalcy.

It’s really good that you're planning to see an OB-GYN and considering suppressive therapy. Those antivirals can be game-changers in reducing outbreaks and making things more manageable (daily suppressive meds can actually reduce frequency of outbreaks by 80%! More stats/details with the free ebook & handouts). About the continuous sores and sensitivity, it's definitely a smart move to get a professional to take a closer look to rule out any other issues, especially since you've noticed a persistent sore. They'll be able to swab it and get a direct result. 

You mentioned trying gentle sex with plenty of lube or coconut oil, which could be worth exploring with your partner, considering the precautions you're both aware of. It's all about finding what works for you without causing more discomfort or risking further irritation.

Your feelings of frustration and hope for improvement are totally valid. There is absolutely hope that things will get much, much better. In fact, genital HSV-1 has a much lower recurrence rate than genital HSV-2, so you're already in a much better place with that datapoint right there. This might just be a wakeup call and a blip on the radar to get you to take great care of your body so it can take great care of you. Remember, you're not alone in this, and reaching out for support, like you're doing now, is a huge step in the right direction. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

@mr_hopp Thank so much for your reply, already I have been feeling more hopeful. Every day this week I have been fearful of even touching down there in case it starts another outbreak. Is tingling a normal daily symptom that I should get used to? I just don't remember this at all over the last 5 years when the virus lay dormant. I have been doing a good job about not scratching down there when it itches and I have found that using Vaseline helps to curb the itch.

Also, how long does it take for the immune system to get the virus back in check? I've been reading online that it can take a few months to build a stronger immune system and I really only started about 3 weeks ago to take this seriously. When I was first infected, the virus went dormant pretty soon after and stayed that way for almost 5 years until a few months ago where it's been nonstop prodrome and sores ever since. My dream is to get it back to being dormant again. My worry is that if I start suppressive therapy that I'll never be able to come off of it. 

Hey @ashleytiffania,

It sounds like you're really taking control of this situation — solid. The tingling you're feeling can be pretty common with HSV, especially around outbreaks or when the virus is active. It doesn't necessarily mean you'll always feel it to this extent, but it's your body's way of signaling what's happening.

Regarding your immune system and suppressive therapy concerns, it's true that building a stronger immune response can take some time, especially if you're starting from a place of frequent outbreaks. Three weeks is a good start, but it might take a bit longer to see significant changes (more like 6 months to a year on average). Your approach to diet, sleep, and supplements is spot-on.

Suppressive therapy is a tool, not a sentence. Many folks find it helps them manage and then, with their doctor's guidance, they adjust as needed. It's more about giving you control and reducing transmission risk than anything else. It doesn't mean you're locked in forever; it's more about finding the right balance for your body and situation.

Keep up the great work on taking care of yourself and maintaining a positive outlook. You've got this, and it's okay to take it one day at a time.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

On 3/6/2024 at 12:04 AM, ashleytiffania said:

Hi All - Sorry in advance for the long commentary, but I need help, my herpes is driving me mad!

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with genital HSV-1, which I got from my current boyfriend that I am still with. After my first outbreak, the virus remained dormant up for almost 5 years up until 6 months ago. I took a 2 week trip with my bf and I believe that it was a combination of triggers that led to my current outbreak. We had sex everyday (caused a lot of friction), I didn't sleep as much, I ate foods high in arginine, and I got sick with covid. At first, it didn't really register that this was going to be a bad herpes outbreak because I hadn't experienced anything like this before. But in the last 6 months I have had nonstop tingling/itching met with sores that just never seem to go away. 

Last month, I decided that enough was enough and that I can't keep living like this, I need to fix it and go back to the way things were. In the last month, I have given up chocolate, nuts, alcohol, and caffeine. I am also sleeping 8+ hours per night and loading up on supplements like vitamins b,c,d,e and zinc. I also have been refraining from scratching. I also use vaseline down there when it hurts or gets bothersome and itchy. 

I made the discovery last month that there is a sore in the opening of my vagina, and two on the labia next to it that have not gone away. It also looks like my perineum is sensitive as I bleed from there when I poop. The sores have a whitish/yellowish discharge. I have not had sex in the last 3 weeks as I try to heal, but what I'm doing doesn't seem to be working and I am becoming desperate. I am making an appt with an obgyn and am going to look into taking lysine supplements and suppressive antivirals.

This whole ordeal has made me feel very depressed and hopeless. I want my old life back, when this beast hadn't awaken yet. I am hoping that I can get this to become dormant again and revert back to how it was over the last 5 years before this madness. I also want to resume some aspect of my sex life. I'm wondering maybe if I use a lot of lube or coconut oil and have gentle sex if that could be ok. I haven't had sex in the last few weeks to prevent cuts, but I still manage to get them anyways so may as well have sex with my bf I guess who already has hsv 1 and gave it to me. The cuts seem to just not be able to heal, so I am getting pretty freaked out.

PLEASE let me know if you have had similar experience and/or what has helped you! I really want to feel some hope that this will get better.

Another suggestion here, as it helped with my breakouts. I don't have them anymore so I even forget I have the virus. I sought out a naturalist who put me on a program for 6 months. It was a lot of capsules to take each day, but it was worth it. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. It was two different supplements each day, three times a day.  Do a Google search for your area. This is an option I highly recommend for anyone.

Also, I find zinc oxide is very soothing for blisters or irritation; if needed, I apply with a Q-tip (just don't put the tip back into the tube a second time for more to avoid contamination).  Nuts are so bad, but I ate a bunch of them everyday for a week recently and became irritated (but no blister!). The zinc oxide helped a lot.

I eat dark chocolate only, and I have to say it doesn't affect me. Milk chocolate has more sugar. If that's your choice, that could be part of the reason it causes episodes. But, believe it or not, chocolate mile is fine to drink.

And, if you're not aware, there are lists on the internet of foods that are high in arginine and high in lysine. There's got to be a balance between the two.  I also keep Lysine supplements in the house in case I feel like I need a boost.

• Like 1