• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How long does the itching last after HSV2 outbreak

Im looking for some concrete answers from people who have experienced what I’m going through.  Diagnosed Feb11 put on 1000mg of acyclovir … sores cleared down to 500mg of acyclovir but still have painful burning and extreme itching which drives me crazy.  It’s March 6th 

Has anyone else been thru something similar. ??  If so what did you do and how long did it last ? 

thank you 

Hey there. I know how you feel. 

I’m on 1000mg of Zovirax a day and it was working perfectly until I went out 2 nights in a row and drank alcohol. Now I have the tingling and a minor itching sensation even with the 1000mgs per day. It seems the only way I can keep it completely suppressed is if I get enough sleep and don’t go out and drink alcohol. 

It seems to have a mind of its own and honestly I’m struggling to find a way to control it. I thought the suppressive meds would help and I could finally let my hair down as I had friends visiting but obviously not. 

Sorry I’m not much help, just somebody who knows exactly how you feel! 

• Like 1

Totally get where you're coming from. @Chelsea514, seems like you've got the sores under control with acyclovir, but that burn and itch are stubborn. And @OB123, it's a bummer that a little fun seemed to kick things back up. It's all about finding what works for you, which can mean tweaking meds and watching out for things like lack of sleep or partying too hard, which can throw you (and your immune system) off. If those pesky symptoms stick around, a quick chat with your doctor might help adjust things. Sharing these experiences is a big help for everyone trying to navigate similar situations. Here's to being able to let your hair down a bit more!

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• 1 month later...

I’ve been on valcyclovar for 28 years. Sometimes the body under stress and inflammation from alcohol or other drugs will hamper the healing affects of generic valtrex. I would bump up the load from 1000 mg to 2000mg and sometimes more when I itched and it seemed to not go away and have had no side effects or problems at all. Not saying to do this but it helped me maybe go up a little see if it helps.