• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV-2 sores & outbreak locations

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with HSV-2 based on a sore on my belly button about 7wks ago. This was my first known outbreak from a known exposure in 2008. It was the only sore that appeared. Has been healed for a month.

Yesterday I have what may be another sore appearing on my lip - very far from my belly button. No other sores are currently present.I have not been taking antivirals up until today. I am booked in for a swab later today but at the moment it’s more of a bump than full blown blister. May be inconclusive.
Not sure what to do here. As far as I was aware you couldn’t get a sore in a completely different location unless you exposed yourself to the virus in that location initially or touched an active blister to another location. 

Has anyone had any experience with this, or know more than I do?

thank you. 

Hey @Isleguy,

Typically, herpes outbreaks recur in the same general area where the virus first entered the body because the virus stays dormant in the nerve cells near the initial site. (For example, all of my genital herpes outbreaks have shown up in the exact same spot on the shaft of my penis.) However, HSV-2 primarily affects the genital area (only 1-2% of all HSV-2 cases are oral), so you're right that having a first outbreak near your belly button and then on your lip is unusual since these areas are typically affected by different types of the virus (orally, HSV-1 is by far the predominant strain).

It's good you're getting the new bump swabbed. This could help clarify whether it's indeed a herpes outbreak or something else. You could also have both strains, HSV-2 and HSV-1. And remember, auto-inoculation is possible but rare without direct contact from an active sore to another body part. Also, the longer you have herpes, the less likely auto-inoculation can happen because your body builds up natural immunity.

How'd your appointment go to swab the bump? And yes, unless it's a fluid-filled blister, it probably won't pick up enough matter to be identifiable, unfortunately. 

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: