• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

After an outbreak is over continued pain and neuralgia symptoms in leg, butt, etc. Is this normal/common?

I have had hsv2 for 30 plus years.  Lately been having more frequent outbreaks.  When outbreak has healed continued symptoms in leg, butt.  Burning, itching, pain but no visible outbreak.  I am concerned about this and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if this is common.  Thank you!

Hey @Darleen!

I'm sorry, it's totally frustrating to deal with those symptoms even after the visible outbreak has healed. What you’re experiencing is actually quite common among many folks with HSV2. These symptoms are often referred to as post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), where nerve pain and sensations linger after an outbreak. It's your body's response to the virus affecting the nerves.

Many find relief by continuing antiviral medication even after the outbreak clears, as it can help reduce the frequency of these neuralgic symptoms. Also, managing stress and maintaining a healthy immune system can be beneficial. It might be worth discussing with your doctor if you continue to have frequent outbreaks and persistent pain—they could adjust your treatment to better manage the symptoms.

Take care and hope you find some relief soon!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to After an outbreak is over continued pain and neuralgia symptoms in leg, butt, etc. Is this normal/common?

Thank you Mr. Hope for your response.  You are very knowledgeable on this subject and I so appreciate you easing my concerns.  Thank you for this forum.  It definitely helps dealing with the stress😀

• Like 1

My pleasure, @Darleen! Glad it was helpful.

(And I like the sound of Mr. Hope. That certainly rings true. 😉)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: