• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I tested positive for herpes but my partner didn't

Two days after intercourse with my partner, I started experiencing symptoms. The doctor did a swab test and I tested positive for HSV-2. My partner had a blood test and he tested negative. My doctor said that I more than likely got herpes from my partner because of how quickly after intercourse I got symptoms. If this is true, why didn't he test positive? Also, he got his blood results back within 24 hours. Is that normal?

Thanks for your help.

Hi December..... welcome!

The fact of the matter is that the virus can remain dormant for YEARS after you first acquire it. I just had a person tell me she had an outbreak after 32 years of marriage...and her hubby is H-.

Many people carry the virus and NEVER have an outbreak. That's the problem with this disease - it hides and people are blissfully ignorant they have it until they either have an outbreak or pass it on. Others get exposed once and immediately have an outbreak. There is no rhyme or reason about why it happens that way - it just does...

Sooo - it *could* be that you have had this awhile and just finally had an outbreak. Or it *could* be that your partner's test is a false-negative ... that happens too. I don't know what the typical turn around time is though .... He may want to get re-tested in a few months.... just so you both know.

Have you read the E-book/diagnosis handouts? That may answer a few questions for you too...

Handouts:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

Hope that helps a bit....

Feel free to ask/comment as much as you need.... we're here to help you navigate the Herpes journey.... (((HUGS)))

He will be getting tested again in three months. I am nervous about how this will impact our relationship. I'm not ready to have the talk with him yet but I'm nervous that since he tested negative, he will want to end things.

Another question, my symptoms were getting better faster when I wasn't taking Valtrex. Since I've been on Valtrex, I haven't had much improvement. Is this normal?

Does he know you tested positive? If so, I think the "talk" is a moot point - he knows you have it... all you need to do now is give him the handouts and talk to him about what you are learning here - get him to join if he has questions of his own that you don't feel comfortable in answering. I would talk sooner rather than later... just to see where he is at. I would guess, if he hasn't run for the hills yet, he is at least willing to stay until you figure out his status. This is the time to get him educated and informed. Then he will know what to ask the Dr when he goes in himself too.

Regarding the Valtrex, I'd ask your Dr about that. They may increase the dose for awhile. Or they may tell you to go off it and see if your immune system is working better on it's own.

I'm sure it's hard being in this place of not knowing for sure what his status is. Just believe that the H+ status will actually help you learn more about whether he is the kind of man you want in your life...who will stick with you even when things get rough :)

(((HUGS)))