• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Questions on Antivirals and Timing of Herpes Outbreaks

Hey there Community!

A question for those of you who might have more knowledge on herpes...

So it appears I'm on my second outbreak close to finishing my first one. My question is whether this might indicate that I recently acquired herpes? Or does this often happen to folks who have had it for awhile before their first outbreak?

The reason I am asking is I received it from one of two people - one who I was intimate with days before the first outbreak and one five months prior. Since the one from five month prior is in a third world country and can't get tested for a while, and due to timing I suspect it was the most recent person (who is still deciding on when he wants to get tested), I would like to provide some assurance to the five months ago guy if it's possible.

Thoughts?

Also, as an aside, if I use antivirals for suppressive therapy, is there a period of time I should take the pills before engaging in intimate activity before they take maximum effect?

Thanks!

iamentj you said:

"I suspect it was the most recent person (who is still deciding on when he wants to get tested):

Have you given him the handouts? IMO EVERYONE needs to get tested (for EVERYTHING and they need to make that clear when they get tested) so they know their status after every relationship. If he he is negative he will also need to re-test in about 4 months just to be safe as he may have got it from you. But to KNOW he may either be carrying or has been exposed and NOT get tested to me is irresponsible.

Perhaps you can print out the handout and/or the e-book and explain to him that he really needs to know so he can protect others if he is an asymptomatic carrier.

Handouts:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

As for who you got it from... I have to say it sounds like it would be guy #2 ... given the timing/frequency of OB's. But Herpes is a slippery little bugger who doesn't play by hard and fast "rules" so your other friend needs to be told just in case.

Regarding antivirals, I was told about 10 days to 2 weeks to get enough in your system to be fully effective.

Thanks!

Oh, I've passed #2 all the info. He was thinking he would just get tested in 6 months or so when it would show up in a blood test. I gently reminded him that it is possible he gave it to me and, while it could still not show up in the test results (depending on when he was exposed), getting the test now could possibly provide some insight into that question and whether he needs to contact his ex. So he's considering it, but I think he also doesn't want to face the possibility that he may have passed it on to me. If he tests positive 6 months from now, then he can pretend that I gave it to him and feel free of that burden (despite the fact that I have always emphasized that I am not looking to place blame). In terms of guy #2, nothing more I can really do at this point short of drawing his blood while he sleeps.

In the meantime, #1 was informed the day my tests came back positive and he's waiting until he has access to medical care in a few weeks to get tested.