• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Confused: Herpes outbreak showing up as rash?

Ok so b4 the dr. said i had H I had a rash on the back of my legs I was put on a steriod, then while I startin gettin a rash in my private area I got a really bad rash on my arm an was put on another steriod along w/cream for down there. Since being told I have H an being on Valtrex I am gettin what looks like chickenpox on . Can ne1 tell me what it is or whats goin on??

Hi lossofwords,

It's hard to say based on what you're describing, but I haven't heard of HSV-1 and/or HSV-2 showing up as a blanket rash like what you're describing ... Did the doctor happen to swab the rash? Did you get the test results that you have herpes from a blood test? It could be that the rash is something different. Is there any way you can take a picture of the rash on your arm/legs and email it to me so I can post it here? Ultimately the best place to get answers will be directly from your doctor since they can actually see you in person and swab the rash.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hey lossofwords,

I'm glad that you have been seeing your doctor for the rashes on your arms and legs as well as for your genital outbreak. If you had blisters on your arms and legs, hopefully those were swabbed too. The best thing to do now is breathe and just wait for your results to come back. One possibility is that the rashes on other parts of your skin are due to shingles. Another name for shingles is Herpes Zoster - it's in the same family of viruses as HSV-1 and HSV-2. It's caused by the varicella virus, which is the same herpesvirus that causes childhood chickenpox. So if you say that what you have looks like chickenpox, shingles would be one possible diagnosis to keep in mind (though I'm sure your physician has already thought of this). The Valtrex you are already on for your genital herpes should actually also be effective for treating the rashes on your arms and legs, because just as the different forms of the herpes virus are related, so are the drugs that treat them.

Some questions for you to consider in looking at your rash:

1) When did you first notice the rashes on your arms and legs? How long have you had them/did you have them? Do they come and go?

2) Do the rashes happen on both sides of your body or only on the left or right side?

3) What do the rashes look like? Do they blister first in what looks like little fluid bubbles, and then crust over or dry up?

4) Does it look like there is a clear line dividing the area of the rash and unaffected skin?

But Adrial is definitely right in saying that the very best thing to do right now, and which you are already doing, is to show your doctor everything and let him/her figure out a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan.

Good luck, and chin up! The good thing is that you are mindful about the symptoms you're experiencing, you're in good hands, and even the worst case is very treatable. Everything is going to be alright lossofwords - hang in there!