• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you pass HSV2 in a non-sexual way?

I've read through some of the posts but there is SO much info in all of them, so i apologize if this has been asked already. Any insight would be helpful though :-)

My question is, can you pass the virus just through touch?

the reason i ask is b/c i have a son (just turned 6) and i still help him do alot of "personal hygiene" type things. Showing/washing/wiping butt! (yeah, still smh!) lol and before i was diagnosed or even thought i could possibly have herpes.. I treated myself for a yeast infection which involved rubbing the cream on myself (skin to skin contact) I always wash my hands, but if you have kids then you know how it is as a mother. sometimes you do things halfassed b/c there are just so many other things to tend to. So now of course all i can think of is "omg what if that one time i didnt use enough soap and then wiped butt, or washed him in the shower" of everything i've been dealing with through my diagnoses this is the worst feelng of all.

I have HSV-1oral ( if i recall correctly i had my first cold sore at 12. Never thought anything of it. heard all the herpes jokes back then but it never bothered me) and now HSV2 diagnosed a month ago.

My son has had cold sores during winter seasons already (most after chapped lips/fevers/ etc.)

I am just wondering how easily this is transmitted (if at all possible) just through skin/skin NON-sexual contact?!

Well, #1 - given that your son had already got the HSV1, you don't have to worry about transferring through kissing him goodbye or whatever. And he is not alone.

The first infection usually occurs between 6 months and 3 years of age. By adulthood, nearly all people (60 - 90%) have been infected with HSV-1. from University of Maryland Medical Center

So don't sweat that one - just EDUCATE him that he has to be careful about sharing drinks right now esp during an OB ... and as he gets older, I'm afraid your "talk" will have to include HSV1 education in a little more depth ;)

Regarding HSV2 - I have to admit - I never thought about it as my kids grew up and they are fine - for the most part the virus won't live outside the body for very long and it doesn't take much soap to kill it. It's very unlikely it could live long enough to transfer to your son unless you are really, really ... er... sloppy. :p

Your best references are places like the CDC and WebMD ... be careful of anything to do with yahoo groups or that kind of thing unless they have someone who is sorta overseeing the "facts" people are posting (like Adrial, myself, Dr_H_Positive, etc). because people post all sorts of crap with no references...just stuff they found on the internet in some other un-monitored chat room or were told by their best friend :p

Google is only good if you use it wisely. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true. :(

Totally agree... but as a noobie the first thing I did with my diagnoses was type "herpes" into google search. I wanted to know and read everything bc I was In a frenzie. (Although i did find se good info and useful videos) Like most people I was ignorant and highly uneducated. Thats why what you guys do is super awesome! So glad I found this site. Ill never go anywhere else for info on H (other then a dr of course lol)