• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

recurrent genital HSV-1. Down about it and unsure

I was diagnosed with genital HSV-1 back in August and in November/December freaked out bc I had another outbreak and got tested again. (see my absurd fretting and backstory here- http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1979/conflicting-herpes-test-results-and-i-have-no-idea-what-to-do/p1)

I had another IGG blood test done in mid December to quadruple confirm that I have HSV-1 and not 2. That would have been about 16 or 17 weeks after my initial symptoms began.

So it's almost 5 months, and I've had two OBs since the initial one and fear another one is coming because I feel a bit of tingling uncomfortableness down there. The last two were very minor- the first one was two small sores, and the one last week was just one and went away in less than two days. I've had 3 blood tests and a culture test come back negative for HSV-2, but the recurring symptoms that I'm experiencing are supposedly atypical for HSV-1. Getting tested again would be borderline insane as I've already had 4 done...

Am I just one of the lucky few that has HSV-1 manifest itself like this? I do have a pretty bad anxiety disorder, so maybe that is a factor. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

I'd say you're just normal. If your HSV2 results keep coming up negative and non-reactive, then it's 1 you're dealing with. Anxiety can definitely exacerbate both symptoms and recurrence rates. The good news is that 1 really does tend to quiet down with time.

As far as atypical, I wouldn't say you're atypical. Either 1 or 2 can cause multiple OB's during the first year (but I think it's safe to say you don't have 2). 4-5 is the average for those of us who show symptoms with either. It's also typical that the OB's reduce in frequency and severity over time. Thus, I'd say you're pretty typical and following one of the already established patterns that millions upon millions of people before you have gone through.

Now, if your blisters start forming patterns resembling alien crop circles, famous personages, or trademarked logos, at that point you might consider your situation atypical.

but the recurring symptoms that I'm experiencing are supposedly atypical for HSV-1.

There is no hard and fast rule that says that H1 only has 1 outbreak. And given your anxiety, well, you just plain are not helping matters my friend! BUT you say your OB's are pretty minor - THAT sounds like HSV1.

I find that many people "learn" from their Herpes friend - perhaps your lesson is to learn to control the anxiety better ... You want fewer outbreaks, start learning how to relax and let go of things that are not serving you ;)

So BREATHE my friend. I think it's pretty safe to say you only have H1. So go with that. And really, does it matter at this point? Only if you are going into a relationship and need to know what the risk factors are for your new partner. Cross that bridge when you come to it my dear :)

(((HUGS)))

currently have a girlfriend who is very supportive and understanding. We've been together for about 4 months now.

I suppose I should have just asked if anyone else with genital HSV1 has seen the same thing happen. That's all.

I'm much more calm than I was 2 hours ago :)

thanks so much for your reply adventurelovelife.

that's the reassurance that my one track brain needed. I too am fearful of passing it on to my girlfriend (even thought I'm insanely careful and communicative) and just generally being upset and ruminating that it came back.