• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Been on suppressive therapy since 2009. If I stop, will I have more herpes outbreaks?

I've read a lot of the discussion here about the body getting used to the virus resulting in fewer herpes outbreaks. I've been on suppressive therapy since I found out in 2009 and if I miss a few days I notice the itching. The drs said I have both HSV 1 and 2. I'm wondering if I stopped the Valtrex would my body do the same. I've never tried because I'm always under stress from my job and I found the pressure of outbreaks too great. Can anyone else shed some light here?

I've gone on and off the supressive therapy several times and never had a problem but I've had it since I was quite young and my body has it relatively under control.

What you may want to do would be to cut back, take smaller doses so your body can build up more antibodies without having a sudden assault of the virus with no chemical support.

AND, try to find ways to not let the stress at your job get to you. You see, it's not just about having stress, it's about how you DEAL with it!!! ;)

(((HUGS)))

I have been wondering about his as well. My very first outbreak was very very mild. No serious pain, itching, etc.... I started taking it immediately. However, I do not take it everyday single day anymore. I am trying alternate days of valtrex and lysine- and other various vitamins as well. There have been some weekends when I haven't taken valtrex or lysine at all. I decided to go on suppressive as soon as I was diagnosed because I figured my complete depression and constant stress over it would start triggering OB's... Which in turn would make me even more depressed and stressed out. However, nothing has happened. I'm thinking maybe I should stop the valtrex, and if I have an OB, then so be it. If I had a very mild first OB, does that mean any future OB will be equally mild? Thinking about it stresses me out a little bit. I an nowhere near dating, etc.... Nowhere near able to discuss this with anyone, no where near even knowing what I would say to a potential partner. I want to be able to have some control over this, but don't want it running my life. Any advice?

Hi abc123

Regarding strength of OB's -

So many factors come into play but odds are if your first OB's were mild any others will although if you have a big change in stress/hormones/health it *could* change... but mine have only gotten milder over the years. One thing, if you come off while things are ok, and things stay OB free (or very mild) then you will also have more confidence in YOUR body's ability to deal with it ;)

And about those disclosures - we've had something 3 or 4 success stories on here in the last few days. Read them.... so much to learn from other peoples experiences :)

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2384/successful-herpes-disclosure#Item_2 Bookworm_21

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2386/ive-been-gone-for-too-long

klopz

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/2390/update-on-my-for-my-h-opp-peeps#Item_2 nic4897

(((HUGS)))

WCSDancer2010,

I think I will try to do that. I basically decided years ago I would take the medicine everyday even though I wasn't sexually active after I found out. I have met guys who were okay with it and that is promising. Yet I do want to feel that I know my body and how it reacts to certain things so thank you for yor advice.

abc123,

Definitely read those stories and how to stay positive when talking about our skin condition. I don't know about anyone else but I found telling my best friend and sister hard but also good because they know me really well. They always provide positive support just like this support group does. :)

Thanks friends.... Because of the emotional trauma and catastrophic damage I caused myself and my ex (who still will never speak to me again) I am in no hurry to talk about this anytime soon. I am in therapy for all that, still trying to even forgive myself for what I did. Right now I am just not even interesting in dating. Perhaps in time, I will be able to take very small steps toward this goal. Ok, so I will continue to talk to my friend H, and let him know he can show himself every once in a great while, but with no "drama". Thanks again, abc 123