• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

my friend told me she contracted herpes recently too...

i was just talking to my friend from uni about relationships and stuff.

She contracted genital hsv recently from her ex who was asymptomatic. and i told her about my hsv too.

what are the odds that we would both contract it almost at the same time...

funny how life works...

so what are the chances of transmission if i have unprotected sex while i take valtrex? what precautions do you all take? and how effective are they? im thinking of using spermicide too in the future that should kill viral shedding, right?

Unfortunately, the odds are good. 1 in 4 women in America have HSV2. More and more are contracting HSV1 genitally.

Unless you are in a committed, permanent relationship, condoms should be used at all times, even while taking Valtrex.

Viral shedding will not be affected at all by spermicide. Further, using spermicide combined with your HSV2 infection places you at even greater risk for contracting HIV. It's one of the reasons why condoms are no longer coated with nonoxynol 9 because it actually creates tiny tears within the vagina that make it easier to transmit viruses. Thus, if you are planning to engage in unprotected intercourse, it is imperative that you are absolutely, 100% sure your partner is HIV-.