• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Doctor said I should get Valtrex for HSV 1...no outbreak ever.

I was told by a doctor to go on Valtrex. I have oral HSV 1 and was told that I can go on Valtrex as an option of suppressive therapy to reduce spreading. Ideas and what route should I take? Valtrex is very expensive and I do not know if I can afford it as I do not have insurance.

You don't need it if you are not sexually active... but if you love giving oral and you are in a relationship, then it might be a good idea.

If you are protecting a partner, see if he will give you a script for acyclovir - it's less expensive but you have to take it twice a day. Also look up Prescription Card online - there are lots of online FREE cards that give you a substantial discount...up to 75%.

If you are sexually active and performing oral sex on partners, you better be taking it and explaining that you can give a partner herpes on their genitals. That is how I got it and I think it very important anyone with oral type herpes should disclose to their partners and be on meds if performing oral. You shed the virus still, even if you have never broken out. You can pass this without being broke out. (How I got it. He has no visible cold sore).

If you are taking them for yourself, no. Don't need it. But if you are sexually active and perform oral sex, you should be on them and also be disclosing to partners.

I have HSV1 on my genitals from someone who gets facial cold sores... It matters big time to me.