• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

My HSV-2 rant with Questions.....

Hello friends, I've been in hiding for a while, but I still read and comment here almost everyday. It makes me feel better reading stories and keeping up with comments, etc.... Anyways, I decided to call my Doctor to ask and confirm some of the information I have been gathering since I tested positive for HSV-2 last October. I know many people have commented that many medical professionals are drastically out of date with current information. So when I called, my Dr was not available, so I spoke to her assistant. Let's call her Becky. Becky seemed like she had no clue what she was talking about and struggled to answer a few basic questions. She actually put me "on hold" twice so she could ask someone else to give me an answer. Some of what she said was conflicting to the information I have found/ read here. So if anyone wants to chime in.....just to make me feel better...please jump right in! First of all, my very first outbreak was very mild. Small blister, on my skin about 1/2 inch from the outside vaginally, nothing painful, no itching, no pain. I immediately went on my meds because I was sure the severe trauma and stress of my misery, anxiety and major depression would cause even more breakouts-- causing more emotional pain and misery=more outbreaks. Honestly, I've been waiting for something to appear, but nothing. Then I figured since I'm not in a relationship, why bother taking meds? I may as we'll wait for another outbreak so I will know what to expect. So, then I didn't take the meds for a while. Nothing appeared. So...here is my first question. Can asymptomatic also mean there is a long period of time between outbreaks? Versus getting outbreaks once a month, every 2 months, etc...? I guess if many years go by with no symptoms, that would mean you are basically asymptomatic? If you are taking daily suppressive therapy, then how would you know if a breakout was even coming? Also if I am HSV-2, (on suppressive medication) this means I could receive and perform oral sex with very small risk of passing it to a partner orally via his penis- or passing it vaginally to his mouth? And kissing isn't a problem, right? I've been reading the transmission rates from HSV-2 female to herpes free male, and with suppressive meds, it is very low. Hypothetically, how long before I engage in any sexual contact should I be on medication? A week, 2 weeks? Becky seemed clueless to most of these questions and then told me not to trust too much information I am getting on the internet. It made me laugh. Anyone want to comment? Thanks friends. abc123