• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Both partners have hsv2

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are both hsv2 positive for over a year now. I've heard that you shouldn't have sex during an out break to prevent spreading it, but I've also read that once you've built up antibodies you can't get "more" of the virus. So my question is, is it safe for us to have sex when one of us is having an OB? Usually he wants to during obs because they're very small and on his balls or base. If he's not in pain I don't mind but my obs are really minor/occasional and in one spot so I would hate to spread it or give myself an ob.

Thanks for the help <3

Good question. On my end, I know I have hsv2 and a blood sample told my wife she has hsv1. In this case, should we avoid intercourse during an outbreak, and in general? My doctor told me that it was essentially the same virus, so can I give her hsv2? I'm still a bit confused.

SMH..... ~X(

So - first - there is no "right" answer here - just the answer that is "right" for you and your wife once you understand the stats and information ;)

Yes - it IS essentially the same virus in that they are both Herpes and both can affect the genital ...however, they have different antibodies for each (otherwise, why call them HSV1 and HSV2 ... never mind all the other "Herpes" viruses) so if you have HSV2 antibodies, you don't have the antibodies for HSV1 and visa versa. There are some studies that *suggest* that if you have one you may fight off a potential exposure to the other better, but as someone who has BOTH HSV1 and HSV2, I wouldn't count on that as a reason to just bonk away :p

So a lot of how you deal with this will depend on what both your feelings are about catching the "other" HSV virus.

Odds are, your wife has Oral HSV1 if she never had an OB ... 50% of all new genital HSV cases are HSV1 from oral sex...usually with a partner with no "coldsores" or visible signs that they have it....many of whom (up to 80%) don't know they have it at all. So if your wife has "cold sores" you definitely want to avoid kissing and oral sex from the moment she suspects anything till 5 days or so after it sore is healed.... otherwise, you have to weigh what your risk factors are for getting H1 genitally from her as to whether she will go on meds and/or how often you engage in oral sex.

You say you are diagnosed with HSV2G ... so again, how you proceed depends on her feelings about her risks (women have a 10% risk of getting it as opposed to 5% for men) of getting it as to whether you go on the anti-virals and/or use condoms. Definitely you want to avoid sex any time you suspect you are having an OB ....

I would study the Diagnosis handouts and E-book (below) with her ... get both of you educated so you can figure out between you how you want to proceed. Read all you can on here... the reality is, it's a skin condition in a really awkward place that causes more emotional upset in the long term than physical for most of the population. All life assumes "risk"... and each person has to decide what their risk tolerance is for each situation they put themselves in... the risk of getting H is tiny - but it's real (otherwise none of us would be here!) ... this is just something you two need to talk about once you understand it better ;)

(((HUGS)))

Handouts:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP