• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

exercise and herpes outbreaks

I work out regularly (usually 4-5 days a week) and I have essentially had one constant outbreak for four months, and I have not had sex since January. I am wondering whether my exercising is triggering them just due to the sweat, friction, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? It's becoming tiresome.

I have a prescription for daily Valtrex but have not started it because a) i'm not seeing anyone/having sex and b) I kind of want my body to learn to fight this on it's own.. also, I am on antibiotics 2x a day and don't know if I can handle being on Valtrex in addition.

Yes - many people ...esp in the early days of dealing with H, find that exercise makes it worse. The stress, sweat, etc just makes it easier for the body to break out.

You may want to try the Valtrex for a few months - the antibiotics shouldn't have anything to do with the valtrex.... V. is only activated in the presence of the H virus and only affects the virus. If there are none present it just gets excreted...

Also, try warm Epsom Salts baths (sit in the tub and put a few double handfuls of the salts right between your legs so the salts are concentrated there), and going commando when you can. Both can help quite a lot.

(((HUGS)))

Thanks, I appreciate the input :) I've had ghsv1 for almost two years, after the first outbreak I didn't see it again for a year until I started having sex again and began having constant outbreaks. I am also hesitant to start up Valtrex because (and maybe this is irrational) my doctor told me that after about 6 months your body builds up resistance to it, and I guess I feel like I should wait until I start seeing someone to use it?

Never heard anything about resistance to it... but if you go on for 3-4 months you can then wean off and see if you need it anyway.

I used Acyclovir (same drug, different delivery) for 3 years when I was with my ex bf and never had any major OB's - just a few very light ones that may have been rubbing/etc