• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you have herpes symptoms and still test negative?

I am a male. 35 years old. Last STI panel was December 2013. I tested negative for everything.

On March 10, I had sex with unknown female partner with unknown herpes status. I used a condom.

Afterward, I started to develop pain in my front thighs. It was a dull pain. Felt a little like I worked out too much, but it didn’t hurt too bad.

I had another STI panel on March 20. I tested negative for everything. I’ve also seen two doctors who have examined me and have found no sign of any herpes outbreak.

The pain has lingered a little, though. It is now more than a month later and I still feel this dull, but consistent, pain.

I know herpes may not show up on any blood tests for up to 3 months. Is it possible to have symptoms of herpes but not have it show up on test until later?

Hey bcden,

Welcome to the forums, brutha.

A few really important things:

1) In order to get a herpes-specific blood test, you have to specifically request it. Yes, even if you say "I want to be tested for everything." The "common" STI testing regimen doesn't include herpes. Yeah, not cool, I know. Just how the medical industry sees herpes as no big deal. Some doctors and clinics will actually include herpes in that, but by default, the CDC doesn't say herpes should be included in testing for "everything." So "testing for everything" basically means to the CDC "testing for everything that has negative health implications."

2) You're right: It takes an average of 3 months before herpes *antibodies* are up to detectable levels in your bloodstream if you do have herpes. So it's not herpes itself that a test like the IgG or IgM looks for. It's the *antibodies* to herpes that it looks for. So you can have herpes symptoms within a few days after being exposed to the virus as the antibodies are building. There are other tests out there for herpes, too. To find out more details, here's a blog article I wrote on it:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-tests

Does that make sense?

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Everyone's different. What you're referring to is known as "prodrome symptoms" where the virus is using the nerves in your leg to travel to the surface of the skin. Prodrome symptoms won't always lead to actual outbreaks, but they're good to use as a signal to keep an eye out. When the virus goes back into dormancy, the thigh pain and other such prodrome symptoms should subside, too. Since your body isn't used to having the virus yet, give it some time and be patient with it. It should subside on its own or you can talk to your doctor for more specifics.

Here's a blog about prodrome:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-prodrome-symptoms

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: