• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Quandaries and Queries

Wow, yeah, so just diagnosed with genital herpes mid-July and still wrapping my head around the diagnosis. I've been reading anything and everything I can about the subject and am really thankful to have found this site -- what a wonderful, supportive and informed community.

At present I am still going through the outbreak, at least it seems that way. The pain has lessened, I was put on Valtrex for twice a day/ten days but that was over more than a week ago. I haven't been on any further suppressants and I do have a GYN appointment for my annual next Wednesday. There, I guess I will have to learn what is happening down there...

What I mean is...I'm not exactly sure what is going on down there. I've done the whole flashlight and small mirror looking but I cannot really be sure how many sores, etc. I am a plus-sized gal, so I have a nice round tummy that prevents me from seeing as much as I'd like to see. So does it seem reasonable (and I have to admit that I am embarrassed about this) for me to ask my GYN doctor to give me the low down. I mean, can she count and let me know (maybe even by graph) where they are?

Also, I've read on a UK NHS site that the first outbreak may last "up to 20 days" but I'm well passed that. Is it possible that I re-infected myself in spots where I wasn't initially exposed? When I first started the looking down there, I was using my hand and spreading things out to look and think maybe I did spread it some.

And, if so, should I ask my GYN for a Valtrex prescription? I don't know if I should do the suppressive therapy or not as well.

My labia on both sides (one side more than the other) is swollen and very red from what I can tell. It is weirdly uncomfortable, it's like having a small ball between my legs. I can walk fine but at night I've been going without underwear and wonder if possibly my swollen labia is rubbing my sores in other areas. Would underwear help prevent that?

And finally, I read in the discussion area where people mention their "one year". Do I need to wait an entire year before doing certain things? Like oral sex performed on me? (I realize that we should use a dental dam or some protection).

I'm sure I will have more questions but those are the most immediate that come to mind. Many thanks in advance for any help you kind folks may offer!

@MissModular

Hello and Welcome!

What you are experiencing is very normal. In order to give you a complete answer we will need to know if you have H1 or H2. But I can get started here:

Odds are you having multiple OB's ... it takes 4-6 months for the body to start to produce enough antibodies to fight the virus effectively. Sometimes the virus cooperates anyway and only causes one OB in some people while in others it will fight tooth and nail to keep your attention. Herpes is a slippery little devil and it doesn't play but any set rules. Learning to reduce stress, figure out what YOUR triggers are, eat better and get plenty of sleep, and how to treat the area (I'll add some pointers below) while having an OB will help you to win the battle of the blister alot faster ;)

So to get you started, check these links out and try the suggestions I'm putting below for the symptoms... let us know which H you have, and come back with any other questions you may have when you've gone through all this, ok?

(((HUGS)))

FAQs:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1758/frequently-asked-questions-on-herpes-and-popular-conversations/p1

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

Go Commando as much as possible - getting air to the area can help to dry it out more quickly

Reduce stress as much as possible - Herpes feeds off stress!!! It can become a good barometer for you that your body needs attention in some form or other

Look up Trigger Foods/triggers on here in the FAQ and search bar - lots of topics on them ... the main foods are chocolate and nuts but you want to learn about the Lysine/Argenine balance that can help keep Herpes under control

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1821/food-drinks-that-causeprolong-herpes-outbreaks/p1

http://regannaturopathic.com/2013/04/the-truth-about-arginine-lysine-and-herpes-simplex-virus/

Epsom Salts baths can do wonders for some. Sit in the bath and dump a few handfuls of the salts right between your legs. Relax and let the salts do their thing then get out and dry off, finishing with a blow drier set on low heat to really get the area dry.

These 4 things seem to do the most help for the most people. Aloe Vera CREAM (make sure ALOE is one of the first ingredients and there isn't a bunch of other crap like petroleum and if it has glycerine, it's AFTER the Aloe in the ingredients .. go to a Health food store for your best chance of getting a good product) or Zinc cream may help during the day to keep it from sticking and help relieve the pain ..

Also: Gold Bond Spray powder - right after exercising/hot showers/etc. Supposedly really cools the area ;)

Given your issue with the area being swollen I'd also suggest using tea bags that have been steeped and cooled ... they will act as an astringent and help reduce the swelling ... and/or a washcloth either with water or cooled tea (you may even want to chill it first). Just make sure to dry the area after thoroughly with a blowdrier on a cool setting

Thank you so much! I just confirmed with the doctor that I have HSV-2 (they didn't tell me over the phone back in July).

I took 10 days of Valtrex, 1 gram every 12 hours. He is sending in another prescription to the pharmacy, so I will get back on that for another 10 days as there seems to be new sores and I'm running around with overwhelming feeling of flu.

Does this sound like a reasonable course? (sounded like the doctor was looking things up online when we were on the phone -- he was an urgent care guy, a "generalist" I guess).

Based on all the reading I've been doing online, I have been taking L-lysine, Vitamin E, pro-biotics. I think I may go buy some Monolauriun (sp?). I also have been wearing cotton undies, blow drying after showers, going without undies any time I am home and when I sleep. I've also cut out chocolate and nuts and have significantly cut out sugar in my diet (used to drink two soft drinks a day/now down to 2 a week). I'm trying also to eat as much fresh fruit and veg and not eating fried foods. I guess as a byproduct, I will eventually lose weight with H.

I can't speak about the meds tho it sounds like what everyone else gets of first OB's nowadays ... but I strongly suggest to you that you get to an OBGYN in the future simply so you have a Dr who will start to know your history with OB's and such. STD's are part of their "specialty" so hopefully if anything new develops in the H world they will be the first to know. GP's are often horridly behind the times (at least your guy knew to look it up!)

And yes, H has a way of forcing us to clean our lives up a bit .... and over time you may be able to re-introduce a little chocolate or nuts ( I went through a spell where if I COMBINED them I got an OB but I have no problems with it at all now).... and cleaning up the diet is a great thing for your body and health anyway... next thing to do is to "clean house" and remove as many stressors/people who are toxic for you. I see story after story on here of people who finally get learn that a "friend" who might tell everyone of their status or look at them differently because of H, isn't a friend... and that they start picking better partners when they resume dating. In the long run the virus should become a non-issue, but it's still there to remind you when you allow yourself to slip into old bad habits ;)

(((HUGS)))