• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Found out I have herpes... I'm so young.

My doctor told me about 2 weeks ago that I tested positive for herpes exposure. When she told me I almost had a nervous break down . I have been in a relationship for 5 years and he is the only person I have ever been with. I'm only 17.. I get occasional cold sores on my lip but I always thought that was normal. I know I contracted it from my boyfriend because I started getting them about 2 years ago and their was one time where I first got it and it was ridiculously painful. I would assume that to be my first outbreak. I love him and I am not resentful toward him at all. I would guess I have HSV 1 .. Not sure if I have it genitally because so many people say they never have symptoms. When the doctor told me my mind went blank . I found out on his birthday.. My family is so judgmental .. What will people think of me? I've had 2 STD screenings prior to this one and never realized that they never test for herpes it's horrible! I've cried so much these passed couple of weeks. It is so emotionally draining. I recently joined a site called experience project to help ease my mind. And someone referred me to this site. I keep thinking what if my partner and I don't work out ( God forbid ) who will want me ? Who won't judge me ? I think of me having children in the future if I do have Genital herpes. I recently had an internship at a clinic in which I had access to my medical records. I look because I was curious and the doctor put "venereal disease" in my file. When I saw that I went to the nearest restroom and just balled my eyes out. I think about everything . Prior to this I already had issues with myself. I didn't know how to be happy. This is almost like an extra burden . But I came here for kind words of advice because herpes is not who I am it's what I have !

chin up young lady. first off does anyone actually say venereal disease anymore?? whered that doctor come from the 1940s?

first off, h1 is very common, something like 80% of the 7 billion people on the planet have it so your not alone. and as you will find out, you can live and have a normal life with either or both types in both places or some combination thereof. whew. you will have to be more aware and do some due diligence. I hate to say it but at your age its very possible you wont stay with him, college will alter a lot about your relationship ( though the romantic side of me thinks it would be very cool for you two to go the distance). keep your chin up. does the sun not shine on you still?

Dancer your up........

Hope, first off welcome. You're reacting how a 17 year old would be expected to react, but you need to chill my dear. As seeker correctly pointed out, just about everyone on this planet has oral HSV1. You stated - "Prior to this I already had issues with myself. I didn't know how to be happy." That's what you need to work on. You got this, don't worry.

Ok - so I need some clarity here. Where do you have your OB's? Why did you get tested for H? Did you have a swab or blood test?

If you were blood tested and you've only had oral outbreaks, you likely just have HSV1 orally ... 60% of all young people have H1 by the time they are your age. I got H1 oral at age 3 likely from a doting Auntie who didn't know she could give it to me. It will have no effect on your having a family, and only the most minor effect on any relationship (ie, you need to let them know you have cold sores and that you have to be very careful about oral sex, exp if you think you are having a OB ... although if they also get cold sores their risk will be lower anyway because they will have the antibodies). As @seeker said, 80% of the population has it - but we are not educated about how it passes along and how to keep from passing it on.

Now IF you have HSV2 (or H1 for that matter) genitally, well, it's still not a huge deal. I also got it at age 17, and I'm 53 now and I've had a great life. The main thing it will make you do (if this relationship doesn't work out) will be to force you to think before jumping into bed with someone and to have the STD talk/disclosure with them. You can still have plenty of babies (the Dr just needs to know so they can monitor you for an OB in the month before you have the baby and they may put you on an anti-viral to help you to not have one during that time). I've had 2 babies ... one naturally , the other by cesarean because the Dr scared me into it ... and both are in the mid 20's and are H-free ;)

As for your family, odds are they get "cold sores" too - and if not, there's still good odds that some of them are asymptomatic carriers.

I can give you more info and support once I know your situation ... but these links are a great place to start to get more info and understanding about Herpes :)

(((HUGS)))

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

http://herpeslife.com/hsv-1-hsv-2-types-of-herpes/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/3296/this-is-water-this-is-water- Choice

Herpes facts video

@WCSdancer2010 well I don't know if I had an outbreak and didn't recognize it as an outbreak genitally. I honestly don't know what genital herpes looks like because on google they look so chronic. And Yes I have outbreaks orally which is literally just 1 cold sore on the top of my lip. I can always feel it coming.. I did have a blood test and she told me I tested positive for "exposure" but I'm thinking about it now I may have it orally.. It just sucks because I've had STD screenings before . And they say they test for everything but obviously don't' . When she told me she made it seem like she was diagnosing me in a nice way.. But thank you so much for responding to me !

OK - so - if you never had a genital OB, and she only told you you had been "exposed" to it, I'd get to an OBGYN, or Planned Parenthood, or STD clinic and get a proper blood test for Herpes - make sure it's "type specific" so you will know which one you have. If they say HSV1 - odds are you just have it orally ... in which case you just need to be very careful with oral sex with the BF. If they say HSV2, well, you may have been exposed long ago. For now, I'd assume you have HSV1 oral. If the test comes back H2, we'll cross that bridge with you when you get it.

You are right - it's totally wrong that people ask for "everything" and not only are they not getting it, they are not being told and they believe they are fine. We are working on eventually changing this, or at least educating the public about H and the realities of testing.

(((HUGS)))

I got my test, blood, type specific from anylabtestnow. they have offices you go to. look them up. no im not a shill for them but every doctors office wanted 150 for the test plus the visit fee, it was 49 or 59 out the door, took 10 minutes and I got result by email. now theres no quack to cluck with but from what ive heard they can be somewhat lacking in social grace.