• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First Gyno Appointment Post Herpes Diagnosis

I have my annual exam today with a new gynecologist since mine retired. My old one was very understanding and comforting with my mother when she was diagnosed with H and told her to give him a call if she ever needed anything. He was just someone who genuinely cared about everyone. He delivered me, so he has known me literally since I was born lol. Anyway, I was diagnosed about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I'm not too thrilled about telling a doctor I've never met before that I have H. I know that's silly because statistically 25% of her patients have it, but I'm still slightly unnerved. I know a good doctor will not be judgmental or anything less than understanding. I just don't know when the appropriate time to bring it up will be. I assume it'll probably be on the sexual health history checklist and I won't have to directly say it.

Are there any questions that I should probably ask? I do want to be tested for HIV and find out which simplex I have, so I'll ask for that (ugh I hate blood work!). I also want to discuss my future fertility because whoever gave me H was probably who gave me chlamydia. If I've had these as long as I believe I have, I could possibly be infertile from the chlamydia. Is there anything I should know for my first annual post-diagnosis? I've never really had a full annual because last year I had a yeast and bacterial infection, so I was told to come back after treatment (which my gyno retired about a month later and my university said they don't perform full annuals - pelvic exam, pap smear, etc - for women under 21 when I scheduled with them wtf???).

Sorry this was so long for a few questions, but I guess I'm just kind of nervous, especially because I'm going by myself - my mom and I always scheduled the same day :P