• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

what is the best blood test to get done to check for herpes?

Hey ann122,

Yes, the western blot is the gold standard of test as it tests for 14 different proteins in the HSV virus versus, 1 or 2 on igg tests. Westover Heights is the only clinic that can recommend/handle the testing, so I think it would be best to call them and discuss your options. They charge $5/min but it's worth it. I know there are a few states that don't do the testing, can't recall off the top of my head, but they would know. If you want the most accurate test, it's definitely that one. Good luck!

While Western Blot is the best, you should be fine with the Elissa IgG or Immunoblot ... those are the ones you are most likely to be offered without going through Westover Heights (and they will be covered by insurance). If he comes out H- then unless he's got it in the last 4 months, you can be sure that one is fine (and WB wouldn't be any different - it also takes at least 4 months post exposure to be accurate).

If you get the Elissa and the values are between 1.1 and 3.5, THEN you might want to look at WB because the false positive rate in that range is about 40% .... if he's never had any symptoms then that result would be questionable and the WB would be the next step ;)