• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes transmission with HSV-1?

So I know I haven't been on here in awhile but I've been trying to forget I have herpes! Anyways, went for my recheck and my doctor confirmed I have genital hsv 1. I kind of figured this because the guy I've been seeing for a couple years was tested as well and he was positive for type 1 but not 2. So now I have 2 questions; the first one is is it true that hsv 1 recurrences are less likely and the second, if he has hsv 1 then is it still safe to have sex if I experience prodrome symptoms as long as there's no lesions present? We had a long discussion about it and initially were using condoms but since we both have it, I'm on birth control, and are planning on continuing to see each other we have not been using them.

Yes... HSV1 *generally* had fewer occurrances and is lesslikely to transmit when it's in the genital region.... however, I would suggest that you "proceed with caution" because while your BF has the antibodies (likely he has it orally) if you happen to be shedding and he happens to be immune compromised (say he has a cold ) then he theoretically *could* get it... so what I am saying is don't push your luck ... use common sense.... ;)

Oh. I only had the tingling for a day or so and now it's gone. My initial ob was really severe though. It took over a month to be "completely normal" and like 2 more weeks for the skin to heal completely and be without any soreness. Now it seems to be fine.