• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

herpes outbreak healing time? valcyclovir vs. acyclovir?

So in the summer I had an ob and I kept messing with it , neosporin, tea tree oil, calmoseptine, and honestly I feel like all that made it worse. This time I put tea tree oil on it once and left it alone n honestly it wasn't as painful. It has gone through the phases the scab has fallen off n now its kinda like a red sore. I guess I need to give that time to heal too. My sore always comes back in the same spot n its a terrible spot bc when I walk it rubs. But I think I got through the worst of it. I am trying to be positive and see that this time wasn't as bad... although it still was very uncomfortable and I literally feel like all I want to do is sleep. How long do you guys usually find the pain has fully gone away after the scab falls off? I want to be back to normal soon. Also I took 2g of valtrex a day. I just resigned from my job. Going to lose my insurance. Valcyclovir is very expensive w/out insurance so I am a little nervous about making the switch to acyclvr. However, I break through on the valtrex . Anyone have any experience with obs -valcyc. vs acyc. ? I know acyc is a lot cheaper without insurance.

Well the tea tree oil needs to be cut with something like coconut oil or it will irritate the area, and some people have a bad reaction to neosporin (my father found kit kept a sore on his leg from healing for months ... he kept putting it on ... until the Dr told him to stop using it and it cleared right up :p ). So it's possible that you did irritate it with those products ;)

Yes - things need time to heal AND over time you will find things clear up more quickly. I can beat mine into submission within 2-4 days now.

As for meds - valcyclovir is basically acyclovir in a form that is absorbed more slowly so you only need 1 pill/day - so acyclovir should be fine - you just have to take it twice a day. And you should be able to get that pretty cheaply - many pharmacies have it on their list of low cost drugs if you sign up for their programs and also you can google "Discount prescription card" and get a card (free!) online that give you a big discount on most drugs.... also call around and see who hs them cheapest with whatever discount option you use :)

Thanks Dancer, You always answer so quickly and informative. Thanks for the info. Its just a little frustrating because it seems this year has been the worst. I have had hsv2 for over 3 years. Maybe it is because I know I have it and am more attentive to it now. I just hope it eventually calms down. I know it could be worse but its just put a damper on many things for me. Bc even after the sore is gone I usual have residual pinching and pain which can really suck.... Going to a new dr on the 16th, he actually delivered me. So maybe he can offer me some better treatment for the post pain and give me a bit more insight. After the last outbreak I also started taking red marine algae. 3 pills a day from pure planet bc I heard it was an excellent anti viral... guess it isn't that good... I haven't gone a year without an OB. I just want to get through a year and then 2 ! That's my hope. Maybe someday. Also scared about planning things trips, outings etc .... bc I never know when one will strike. That's the major problem I have with this disease, I like to be in control and I'm not. What if I get married someday and boom here's an OB... I guess it is one day at a time but I truly can't help the what ifs that spring up in my mind. Wish there was a better treatment for the actual sore itself that really took all the pain away and made the duration shorter... but I am just thankful this time was not as bad as last. The sore is gone now but I still feel the pain . Hope it subsides soon. Nothing I can't deal with I guess. Thanks again for all your help.

Well, stress is a HUGE factor and all the anti-virals won't help your body fight it if you are stressing alot because that compromises your immune system. And I still don't go a year without an OB if I'm not on meds but I DO control them a whole lot faster now.... to a point that it's just a nuisance now. As you get better at figuring out ways to control/knock OB's back down you will find that things like travel and such are not an issue :)

What if you get married and have an OB? Honey, there's TONS of discordant couples (one is H+ the other isn't) ... you just learn other ways to be intimate during those times. It actually gives you an excuse to learn other ways to get your freak on :)

http://herpeslife.com/keeping-your-partner-herpes-free-can-be-super-sexy/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/5807/list-the-ways-to-protect-my-partner-from-getting-herpes-hsv2 Safe alternatives to sex

That's the major problem I have with this disease, I like to be in control and I'm not.

Ahhhh - well there is the lesson for you in all this!!! Because life gets a whole lot better when you let go of the need to control everything :)