• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question: Masturbation with herpes?

Hey guys- so my first herpes outbreak is over and I sort of forgot about the herpes for a little while but today I'm having a rough time again.. I'm in college and our campus gynecologist has next to no idea what she's talking about when it comes to herpes. She told me that if you have it orally you automatically also have it genitally.. SO here I am with a question for you guys, because this forum has helped me through the hardest of this-

I have HSV1 genitally. Should I be wearing gloves to masturbate in case of passing the virus to my fingers? Also with my partner (also HSV1 genitally) is it okay to use our hands with each other? The thought of wearing gloves to masturbate or touch each other is sort of depressing honestly.

Maybe after the 4-6 months of building up antibodies we won't have to worry about it? Thanks for any responses!!!

Hey @jers113... I am not sure I am the right person to answer this, but I think the chances of getting herpes whitlow (on the fingers) are very low. While it is possible to autoinoculate, especially during the first few months after the primary outbreak, you "should" be ok... If you want to be very safe, wait those 4-6 months to let your body build up the antibodies and then you should be good to play/touch all you want. @Dancer can weigh in on this though, she would know best.

I'm in college and our campus gynecologist has next to no idea what she's talking about when it comes to herpes. She told me that if you have it orally you automatically also have it genitally..

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!

PLEASE! Print out the Handouts from here AND the Westover Heights Handbook and their contact info (she's more likelyt to believe a medical "expert" than us so take her both of our info) and take them to her and ask her to get up to date in her information

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

Dr. Lisa Taulbee at the Westover Heights Clinic,http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678

http://www.westoverheights.com/herpes/the-updated-herpes-handbook/

Now - as for your question... certainly after 4-6 months you should be safe. If you are a worrier or if you get a lot of hangnails or you chew your nails short, I'd use medical gloves (they are very thin) or finger cots till the 4 month timeline ... just to keep you calmer ... usually the first few weeks are the worst for autoinnoculation to another area ...

http://tinyurl.com/latex-finger-cots

If you choose the gloves, maybe turn it into a role-play and pretend to be doctors ... make the gloves PART of of the sex play rather than something yucky that reminds you that you have herpes ;)

(((HUGS)))

Hey guys- so my first herpes outbreak is over and I sort of forgot about the herpes for a little while but today I'm having a rough time again.. I'm in college and our campus gynecologist has next to no idea what she's talking about when it comes to herpes. She told me that if you have it orally you automatically also have it genitally.. SO here I am with a question for you guys, because this forum has helped me through the hardest of this-

I have HSV1 genitally. Should I be wearing gloves to masturbate in case of passing the virus to my fingers? Also with my partner (also HSV1 genitally) is it okay to use our hands with each other? The thought of wearing gloves to masturbate or touch each other is sort of depressing honestly.

Maybe after the 4-6 months of building up antibodies we won't have to worry about it? Thanks for any responses!!!

Research indicates that about 20% of people with genital HSV-1 shed asymptomatically less than 5% of the time, and about 80% of people with genital HSV-1 never shed asymptomatically. In the absence of physical symptoms, precautions are probably not necessary, especially considering the fact your partner is also infected genitally with HSV-1.

Hi I just wanted to say I understand where you are coming from. At first I read about rubber gloves etc. I am just saying for me...RIDICULOUS!!!Honey have a party with yourself! At least I do...Just do not touch your eyes or face just in case. And as far as hands or fingers ours or a partners just wash your hands when your done. When this first happened to me almost 2 years ago. There were so many fearful things that I saw and read on the internet. Remember we are all unique in each case. So please don't be afraid to love yourself:) I will say we have some of the best knowledgeable experts on this website. With great and safe information. I am just telling you my personal experience. I hope things are going better for you.