• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IgG herpes test results very weird... Help!

First test:

HSV1: 36.70

HSV2: 5.45

However, an inhibition test on the HSV2 yielded a result of 1.17, thus rendering it a "false-positive" according to my doctor.

Second test done almost six months later:

HSV1: 43.80

HSV2: 1.16

The HSV2 test was repeated at Focus Diagnostics and determined to be not positive, meaning there was no need for an inhibition test.

First of all, why are my HSV1 values so high? I can't recall ever having a cold sore. Also, how could my HSV2 results be so variable?

I'm certainly not a Dr so I'm going to give an "educated opinion" here ...

With numbers like you have with HSV1, odds are you got the virus as a child (60% of young people have H1 orally by the time they are young adults ... I got it at age 4) and that you are one of the 80% who are unwitting asymptomatic carriers. That's pretty straight forward ... and what it means for you is that you *could* possibly pass it on through oral sex ... now it doesn't mean you can't give oral, but you would want to check in with potential partners and find out if they are also H1+ (which reduces their risk - and odds are high ... 80% ... that they WILL have the virus) ... and if they don't then you need to discuss whether you use barrier methods, antivirals, or if you just are very cautious about giving oral (which means you don't give head when you have ANY cuts/sores on your lips OR if they have any cuts/nicks from shaving, etc) ... Knowing that you have it may seem "bad" but in reality, it just means that you will behave with a bit more care when it comes to giving oral sex ;)

Your numbers for HSV2 don't make sense to me ... I suggest that you contact Westover Heights Clinic and have them explain it to you ... they charge $5/minute but they are the best informed and can explain it to you (I'd love to hear what they say ...) and they may suggest that you do the Western Blot test which is much more accurate and conclusive :)

Westover Heights Clinic,http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678

Interesting! Thanks for the information. I'll certainly look into that link.

If anyone else has any thoughts please share them!

I'm still confused why I had TWO false-negative HSV2 tests. Could it be that I have HSV1 genitally, and that's screwing the results a bit? Like, it picks up HSV1 but can't quite make the distinction between oral or genital?

I suggest you get a western blot blood test done that can be obtained by westover heights clinic.

Sometimes there is cross reactivity btw hsv2 and hsv1 and since ur hsv2 numbers are borderline I would strongly recommend you do so. The western blot is the best blood test you can get.

Seems like you have an established hsv1 infection for many years, you are likely an asymptomatic carrier. You likely have it orally.

But you need to clarify your hsv2 and I am unaware of how your dr are determining the hsv2 result is negative.

Westover heights are experts on these things.

Good luck

It won't make distinction between oral and genital. Blood tests don't do that. They just tell you which type of virus you have.

Hsv1 is known as oral herpes but you can also have it on the genitals.

Hsv2 for the most part is genital but there are a small number of cases that people have it orally.

So blood test will tell you what you have not where you have it.

A swab of a lesion in other place will tell you but if you have no symptoms it will be very difficult to get a positive swab.

I've never heard of a Dr mentioning the inhibition thing... not sure how he's coming up with this diagnosis, which is why I think you need to call the Westover heights folks ... they can explain it to you better than I can ...

And *technically* anything over 1.1 might be a positive result anyways ... so 1.17 and 1.15 *could* still be positive. Most Dr's consider 1.1 and above as positive ... but anything between 1.1 and 3.5 has a 40% chance of being false positive ... so you would be what *I* would consider a "low positive" ... in which case I'd recommend the Western Blot to give you a definite result.