• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Are lambskin condoms safe to protect from herpes transmission?

Lets just say that Lambskin is a "better than nothing" alternative to latex condoms for those who are allergic to them ...

As @seeker said, there is some permeability (meaning *some* virus may get through) but in order for someone to actually "get" herpes they need a minimal "dose" of the virus (I can't remember how many of the virus is needed, but it's a fair amount) ... without that minimal number, the body can usually fight it off and kill all the virus before they establish in the ganglion as long as the person isn't immune compromised..... so the lambskin condoms would hopefully cut down the amount of virus that the other person would get exposed too.

It's possible the reason they don't recommend them for HIV is that that one is in the fluids... and fluids are more likely to get through the lambskin faster/easier than a virus that is on relatively dry skin ...

So given your sensitivity, I'd go ahead and try them ... :)

@wcsdancer@2010 so when we shed the virus is there anyway to tell how much? Where would I look to see what the minimal virus dose is? I definitely want to give them a try. I just wanted to make sure I knew all the information on them in regards to having H

Nope - no way to tell ... and I suppose you can google it but there are also differences of opinion around that too ... and really, what good will it be to know if you can't tell from what minute to the next how much you are shedding :)

I'd try them ... even if they give 75% as much protection as a regular condom (I think it's likely higher) that's still a damn sight better than nothing :)

@WCSDancer2010 everytime I use google i get conflicting information that's why I come here I trust the information you guys provide more than google. since I'm on suppressive therapy that would cut down the percentage of transmission as well. After what I just went through I'm willing to Give them a try.

I started this site in February and have went from wanting to die to coming to grips with my diagnosis. Yes, I still have bad days but not as bad as when I first found out. I wanted to thank you and all the ladies on this forum. Sorry I couldn't remember everyone's user names . Thank you xoxoxoxo