• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

can't believe it...some doctors are uninformed

So my now ex bf went to the doctor for a physical and to get tested for hsv. His doctor would not test him because he wasn't having any symptoms down below. She advised him that they only test if there are symptoms. He also explained to her that I had low igg test results of 1.30 for hsv2 and that my doctor required me to retest in June. She told him that there is no such thing as a low positive either you have it or you dont. So he believes he doesn't have it because of what she said. It bums me out that his doctor doesn't know what she's talking about and the fact that he didn't make her do the test.

Hate to say it but that is VERY typical ... and the Dr is technically correct because the CDC recommends not testing without symptoms. However in your case you ate in the

positive" range so he should "qualify" (as it were) as being at risk of having it.

You may want to go to the CDC website, print this out and underline/highlight the bits I did here for him AND her:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes-detailed.htm

How do people get genital herpes?

Infections are transmitted through contact with lesions, mucosal surfaces, genital secretions, or oral secretions. HSV-1 and HSV-2 can also be shed from skin that looks normal. In persons with asymptomatic HSV-2 infections, genital HSV shedding occurs on 10% of days, and on most of those days the person has no signs or symptoms. [4] Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission most commonly occurs from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected. [5]

I really hope to start a campaign in the not too distant future to get HSV testing to be part of the standard panel and for a lot better educational materials to be distributed in every DR's office... but that will likely be a long battle :p