• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Dealing with doctors

Does anyone else feel like their quality of care with their doctor has declined since diagnosis? My obgyn used to be awesome and personable, now since diagnosing, she is short and avoidant with me. She was supposed to call in my script yesterday to the pharmacy (I had called her office first thing when it opened so she had all day), get to the pharmacy and the pharmacist shakes her head and said sorry, no script was called in. Of course my drs office was closed, so I called the emergency page line. That's right. And I got my script filled. They chided me for doing that, for a "non emergency", but had my dr done her job I wouldn't have had to. And now I'm worried that when my last refill is up in a mth, she won't refill me since she claims valtrex is only for "short term" use. How can I avoid this? I feel like I'm finally getting my body under control with the virus, and don't want to go back to the way it was before.

Is there another physician in the practice you can see going forward? Almost sounds like she is judging you. Not right. It might be time to change offices. If you feel strongly in not changing, really stress to her the improvement in quality of life daily meds have made. Also your concern in not wanting to pass the virus onto someone else.

I have noticed some doctors just don't want to be bothered for whatever reason. Also realized some doctors don't believe in using valtrex as a daily surpressent unless you have million outbreaks per year. My last gyno, who I only chosen because of insurance, would only call in the exact amount of pills needed for an outbreak. When I asked for surpressent for an upcoming trip he said call me prior. I felt like he was controlling me and after seeing him every week for a month I knew he just wanted the money for the office visit. Which was confirmed when He wanted $25.00 when I asked for my file to transferred. (Only been seeing him for a month). Told him to keep the file but to fax over my Pap test which was done a week prior and he refused. I had to call labcorp. What an ass. New gyno did give me surpressent Valtrex.

These doctors see so many patients they can't remember us that well to be real personable. They just act like do. Years ago my gyno who delivered two of my kids would walk into the room saying, "and there she is." I admit it made me feel a lil special. Until onetime while waiting for him I heard him say the same line to a patient in the room next to me. Then I felt like another number. Lol

Nope - but I've had a lot of Dr's and the only place I had issues was in the UK - thanks to it being a single payer system because I was assigned the Dr who delivered my first child and he scared me into having a cesarean ... I had to fight to get switched to a more open minded Dr for my second.

Thing is, each Dr has their own idea about the use of antivirals mostly based on what they have been told and not so much on understanding the psychology of the H patient.... (ie, the fear of having another OB, of passing it to a loved one, the buying into the stigma, etc) .. and to most, it's just a nuisance virus in an inconvenient place ... so you need to find a new Dr who is more up to date on the reality of the Herpes patient...that's all ;)

(((HUGS)))