• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Decreasing herpes medication?

Just wondering what people's experience is with going off of the Valtrex? I would like to get off the medication. I tried before, but got prodrome pretty quickly and freaked out and went back on a full dose. I've been at about half a dose for close to a week and am already noticing little twinges here and there. Is this normal? I am also cutting out some other triggers, one at a time. This month is chocolate :( I have had just a little bit when I was baking a gift for someone, but have otherwise stayed away. Next month is processed sugars. I have also cut back on my coffee and alcohol. Should I expect some mild prodrome over the next few weeks? What have others experienced when decreasing medication? Thanks for your input!

I generally tell people to wean off, especially when they are still kinda "new" to the virus (after 35 yrs, I can go on and off them as much as I want with no problems..) so that the body has a chance to "take over" ... perhaps try going to half dose for a week, then halve it again... then you should be ok. :)