• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Silly little herpes virus

Lori

Hi!!! Great site! Great videos! I have had genital herpes since April 2008. I have actually adjusted pretty well with support in the beginning. I have been seeking out more support currently because I just had another sore recently and just actually don't like being reminded that I have it. I take suppressive meds but still my body struggles with keeping the virus quiet. lol… anyway, I know that I am a more compassionate person since getting hsv2 and that if I met someone who had it before I actually had it I might not have understood…. Now, I just look at it as a silly virus that affects my private area (lol again)… So, I think i will continue to make light of it. I have always told my bf’s before ever getting intimate with them that I have the virus because its the right thing to do and also I wouldn’t want someone to infect me because they were too ashamed to be open. Thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Lori! You got me both laughing out loud and nodding in recognition. Thanks for the laughing part ... and about the nodding, I can relate to the "more compassionate person" part. I was definitely quite a self-centered little brat before herpes. I judged the hell out of people (yes, including those "dirty herpes people"). And after I GOT herpes, I was forced to confront my own judgmental nature. It caused me to have a whole lot of aha moments about who I was being and who I was inspired to be. It's interesting how something so simple as a herpes virus can slap a person into living a more aware life.

I also like that phrase you used ... "ashamed to be open." If we can remember that when we're open, it's more showing our integrity, honesty, compassion (all those caring, generous qualities) than showing all those negative assumptions around herpes. Let's not confuse the beauty of openness with the stigma of herpes. The only way to turn the tide of the stigma is through openness. Interesting, huh?

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: