• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Debunking what my dr. told me - is the blood test accurate?

Hey there! Third post in what I suppose is my flurry of introductory posts here. :-P

When I had my first OB the doctor at PP did a swab test, and it came back negative likely because it was late in the OB and they were already starting to heal. I received follow-up paperwork asking me to come back at the end of September for a blood test.

When I came to my appointment as they'd specified, the nurse warned me that 1) my insurance might not cover the test, 2) it's very expensive, and 3) it's inaccurate. I asked to see the doctor to discuss this, and she didn't say much more than that she thought it'd be better to get me swabbed again right when an OB is happening.

What's your take on all of this??? Is the blood test inaccurate?? With very mild symptoms on and off (prodromal) and no indication of blisters, how the hell am I supposed to know for sure if I have HSV?! This is SUPER frustrating, so I want to hear about what others have heard here, what kind of testing they'd recommend I get done, etc.

Thank you!!!

Well, I have found by some, that PP likes to advise at times, people not get H tests done, because they know the psychological impact it can have on people. She is incorrect in regards to the blood test. That would be true I'd you took the blood test earlier than 4 mo ths after post exposure, or they gave you a combined HSV test, but if you test 4 months post exposure, request a type specific IgG Elissa test, those are pretty accurate test's. Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, they will work out a payment plan w you.

If you had NO symptoms, then there's a 40% chance of it being a false positive if the result is under 3.5 .... that is where they get the idea about it being inaccurate ... but if you had symptoms that seem to be herpes, it's worth doing the test. And if it's over 3.5, it's totally conclusive.

These people often have half the info ... so likely they have th 40% stat, but not the other info regarding whether the person is asymptomatic or not :P

I've had to tell a Dr to humor me over a Lyme Disease test once when he thought my symptoms were likely something else. He called me up 3 days later to sheepishly tell me I had early Lyme and he was calling a script in for antibiotics. So tell them you have talked to people who explained the stats to you and you want it anyway :)

@WCSDancer2010 & @2Legit2Quit - how can I learn more about the stats for type-specific IgG Elissa test? Is there a specific website you'd recommend I go to, to learn more about it?

I've also heard about this Western Blot test. What do you think of that? Is it necessary to explore that if I do the IgG Elissa test at least 4 months out from the time I suspect I contracted H?

Also, which type? I'm assuming I should test for HSV-2? It seems like that's the one that's more concerning, since it can spread more easily genitally. Is that correct?

Obviously of you have another OB, you need to immediately w in 48hrs go in to be swabbed. Until then, I'd wait till you hit 4 mo ths post exposure. In the event you come up positive for HSV 1, the blood test doesn't tell you were it's at, so that's the trouble w HSV 1. Only a swab will tell you if you have HSV 1 down below. I'd just ask for a type specific test for both.

@wcadancer2010 do you have lyme disease still? What were your symptoms?

Just to the Elissa TYPE SPECIFIC at the 4 month mark... if it's under 3.5 and you have no symptoms, THEN do Western Blot... you can't do either till after the 4 month mark anyway and the WB has to be done through Westover Heights Clinic.

@2Legit2Quit - well, THAT time I had a sudden pain of non-specific origin in a knuckle on a hand where I had an old injury. I was put right on anti-biotics and cleared it up because I caught it early. I've been treated 2 more times, both times caught it early and ID'd by the Bullseye, antibiotics cleared it right up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there @2Legit2Quit and @WCSDancer2010 - finally responding, sorry about the delay! (I got super busy there for a while...)

I just called my area PP and they do not offer the type-specific test. I am in the process of figuring out if my PCP would be willing to order it for me... otherwise I guess I need to go doctor-shopping! :-P

Thanks so much for the feedback, both of you. Really appreciate it.